Chapter Fifteen

Letter XXXI

December 13, 17--

Dearest Hannah,

If you were to see me now, I am sure that you would not recognise your beloved friend. I am bedecked in general finery, far above my station, having borrowed a gown from one of the ladies here, who sports only the latest of fashions, and am, furthermore, adorned with the gloves, accessories, trinkets – expensive etcetera – that truly ought to furnish another. You see, my darling Hannah, I have been most foolish and can only think to write to you in the hour of uncertainty, I hopes that you will receive my letter kindly and into your utmost confidence.

Yesterday morning, that is where I shall begin, I received a visit from a one Mr. S--- who I had lately made the acquaintance of, at a tearoom I had frequented, and then promptly forgotten about after the occasion. He had called to offer me a ticket to the next H-------- assembly. I thanked him, but desired to be excused accepting it: he would not, however, be denied, nor answered; and, in a manner both vehement and free, pressed and urged his offer, till I was wearied to death: but, when he found me resolute, he seemed thunderstruck with amazement, and thought proper to desire I would tell him my reasons. Obvious as they must surely have been to any other person, they were such as I knew not how to repeat to him; and, when he found I hesitated, he said, "Indeed, Ma'am, you are too modest; I assure you the ticket is quite at your service, and I shall be very happy to dance with you; so pray don't be so coy."

"Indeed, Sir," returned I, "you are mistaken; I never supposed you would offer a ticket without wishing it should be accepted; but it would answer no purpose to mention the reasons which make me decline it, since they cannot possibly be removed."

This speech seemed very much to mortify him; which I could not be concerned at, as I did not choose to be treated by him with so much freedom. When he was, at last, convinced that his application to me was ineffectual, he addressed himself to our Parisienne domestique and begged she would interfere in his favour; offering at the same time to procure another ticket for herself.

"Ma foi, Sir," answered she, angrily, "you might as well have had the complaisance to ask me before; for, I assure you, I don't approve of no such rudeness: however, you may keep your tickets to yourself, for we don't want none of 'em."

This rebuke almost overset him; he made many apologies, and said that he should certainly have first applied to her, but that he had no notion the young lady would have refused him, and, on the contrary, had concluded that she would have assisted him to persuade the Parisienne herself.

This excuse appeased her; and he pleaded his cause so successfully, that, to my great delight, he gained it, and the Parisienne promised that she would go herself.

Mr. S--- then, approaching me with an air of triumph, said, "well, Ma'am, does that also indicate your attendance?"

Before I had a chance to reply in negative, the Master entered. "Attendance?" he asked. I thought for a moment that he appeared concerned.

"For the H-------- assembly," the Parisienne said. My Master's brow cleared.

"Perhaps I shall join too, if the ladies of the household insist on going."

I had no opportunity to disabuse him of this notion as Mr. S---- stammered out his utter rapture at having the opportunity to invite a Marquis to their humble gathering. This went on for some time until finally I was forced to accept my defeat and quit the room. Later, when I ventured, in the most humble manner, to excuse myself, and represented the impropriety of accepting any present from a man so entirely unknown to me, the Parisienne laughed at my scruples; called me a foolish, ignorant country-girl; and declared that the gentleman had only invited me as a pretence to know more of her. I do believe she meant this to console me, but I was more than a little mollified and did not want to embarrassment of explaining my absence to the Marquis who appeared to only have deigned to go for our benefit.