Rivals - Part 1

"How's the weather up there, Mumbo?"

"It's good, actually. At least I am not licking dirt since my marching band students can't trample me over. I actually have height."

It was no secret that Mumbo and Grian absolutely hate each other with every molecule in their body. During all the marching band bashes, where the tens of schools around the area come together to play for fun, they always sneer at each other on the field. The principals of school G-Team, Joe, and STAR, Doc, are fully aware of the situation.

To sum it up, both schools are rivals when it comes to sports. And considering that Mumbo is the drum major of STAR and Grian is the drum major of G-Team, it was no doubt that they would become enemies sooner than later. Thankfully, they are both seniors and when they go to college, they would never have to hear from one another again. Just less than a year to go and then they will never have to hold each other's throats again.

"At least I don't stick out like a sore thumb in the crowd!"

"At least I don't need a step stool whenever I need to grab a flute from the highest shelf!"

"I am average height for an eighteen-year-old!" Grian hollers out with his face reflecting the red color of a tomato. Mumbo snickers before putting on a fake pout.

"Aw, did I hurt your wittle feelings?" Mumbo mocks without any shame before smirking again at Grian's flushed face. Grian let out an exasperated huff and crosses his arms, looking away from his rival.

"Oh, ow, my heart hurts," Grian sarcastically spits out and presses his hands against his chest, obviously pretending to be hurt. "Come up with a better insult. I would like to see what you come up with the next band battle. Now excuse me, I have a band that is loyal and ready for me to grab their attention." 

Grian makes sure to shove his shoulder into Mumbo roughly before storming off of the football field. Mumbo laughs to himself, finding Grian amusing when he is tempered. Grian's white tailcoat trails behind him as he nears the edge of the long field line. 

Mumbo will admit that he is a little jealous of G-Team's modern-looking marching band uniforms. Since STAR is an older school, they have a ferocious and intense red, black, and grey uniform to show that they look dominant. Their upper half is red with different shades of grey streaks running diagonally. 

Their buttons, that trail down their uniforms, are painted gold to bring out some added color and more of the blazing element. Their caps have, as what some people like to say, black 'feather dusters' that are attached to their hats and strike through the air boldly.

G-Team is a more modern school that got built more recently. Their uniform palette has modern streaks of grey, white and light blue to compliment and they have long tails running among the back of their upper uniform with a large grey "G". 

Their pants shine a brilliant white and that proudly points out that they will have your attention at all times while they are on the field. Their caps consist of only one long, white, delicate feather that is silk to the touch and sticking straight up.

"Hey Mumbo, the show is about to start!" The band director calls out on the field. The marching band students began to scamper back to their band directors. If they are caught talking or fighting with the riving school, they will be eliminated from the rest of their battles and have to watch on the bleachers without participating. Talking to students from other schools is fine. But talking to rivaling schools is basically begging for trouble.

The taller man heads back over to the left side of the field. He shoots a glare over his shoulder and meets eye contact with Grian, who looks like he is still steaming about their little encounterment. He smirks in success and wanders back over to his school group. His feet climb up the metal ladder and he blows his whistle in a rhythm that the entire band knows.