She laid against him again. He had to admit that this vulnerability that she was showing touched him. He loved being close to her and having her close. "I also can't have kids. When the blast happened, a piece of shrapnel tore through me."

"Hey, look at me Xael?" She looked back up at him. She was on the verge of tears again.

Shado wiped away a tear that had started to fall. "I'm so happy that you're giving me a chance. As long as you're with me, that's all I care about. Okay?"

Xael smiled and rested against him again.

"I had a Mate as well.  It was when I lived in L.A.  She was killed in a car-jacking that turned violent. I was on duty at the time and she had texted saying she thought she was being followed but I had my phone off for some reason. The call came over the radio. When me and my partner arrived on scene, the perpetrator was cuffed and sitting on the curb. My supervisor came over and pulled me to the side. That's when he told me who the victim was. The next thing I knew, I was on top of the guy. I almost beat him to death. After that, I had had enough of L.A. My Superior told me about a job in the city next to town.  I got in pretty easily but something just didn't feel right and I didn't get along with one of the guys on the force so my new Chief told me about this job on Tribal land for a Deputy.  I figured it couldn't hurt so I applied for it.  Skylar called me a week later and offered me the job."

Xael's hands had been caressing his sides. She pulled back to look at him again. He had a soft but pained smile on his face. Before she realized what she was doing, she had brought their lips together in another tender kiss. He pulled her against him and was about to deepen the kiss when they heard an annoyed groan. She broke the kiss to see both her boys sitting next to them, staring.

Having lost their previous Mates. Adam and Xael could still form a Mate bond between them. Once someone had lost their Mate, the original Mate bond would dissolve over time. It usually took 1-3 years, but that depended on how hard they took the death. Some never recovered from the loss of their Mates and would fall into a severe depression. A few didn't survive it, some remained single for the rest of their lives. Others managed to, given time, form another Mate bond with someone else. It was very rare to find another 'True Mate' though.

Xael rested against him again. "Are you really going to stay the night?"

"Yeah, I just want to make sure you'll be okay and... I don't really want to leave you."

Xael sat there, not saying anything. He now knew she was an Omega and had a Mate.  She knew the story of his Mate and what brought him to their small town. With another deep breath, she relaxed.

"Adam?"

"Hm?'

"You're my Mate."

Instead of acting shocked like she thought he would, he wrapped her in a tight hug. She didn't move as he nuzzled her, his nose gently caressing her neck.

"Xael, will you let me scent you?"

"Adam...That's not a good idea."

"Please..."

He felt her tremble

"I..." Xael stiffened in his arms, a very light whimper leaving her.

"I want to know my True Mate's scent, please Xael. I never expected to find another one."

Xael shifted to get comfortable. She would release her scent, but only so it was barely detectable. There was another Male close by and she didn't want him to detect her.  Xael would only let him scent her for a few seconds.