{ 41. Cellphone }

"Any updates?" Kathlyn asked Spencer as she slumped down on the floor.

Spencer shook her head, "I talked to Toby. But he doesn't know anything about it."

"So, what are we gonna do now?" 

"I asked a favor from him. We might get results from there." Spencer explained. 

"Okay, how does this part goes?" Aria asked nobody in specific, but she was looking at Spencer. 

"Don't ask me. Hanna's the one trying out." Spencer said in defense. 

"You just have to be cheeky there. That's how that part has to be." Kathlyn explained to Aria. 

"Right. You're one of the screenwriters for this play." Spencer said and Kathlyn just nodded.

All of a sudden, Mona approached them. "Hey, there, Hanna and her clanna!"

"Hey, Mona. How did it go in there?" Hanna asked her friend, Mona. 

"Honestly, I nailed it." Mona said with pride. "It was epic. I think Mr. Fitz cried."

"Good for you, Mona. I guess the rest of them eyeing a part should go home." Kathlyn commented, sarcastically. 

"No! There are no small parts, only parts that don't make it into the yearbook." Mona pointed out. "Oh, Kath, you're one of the screenwriters, right?"

Kathlyn just nodded in a bored manner.

"I heard professor Duncan's also helping in this play." Mona added.

"What?" Kathlyn asked in a tone slightly higher, but before she could ask Mona, the girl already left. 

"What is a biology professor doing in a play?" Kathlyn asked no one in particular. 

"Ezra told me that Duncan helped in some plays in UPenn." Aria said in whisper. 

Kathlyn just rolled her eyes. Why. Biology plus theater, it doesn't sound so promising at all. 

——————————

After the auditions, the girls headed to the cafeteria. 

"By the way, did you and Toby figure out what 2-1-4 means" Kathlyn asked Spencer.

"We're still working on it. I'm supposed to drop off his French book after school, so..."

"Can I do it?" Emily cut off Spencer. "I haven't seen him since they dropped the charges, and I'd kind of like to talk to him again." 

"Sure." Spencer answered. 

"Isn't that Jenna... and Ian?" Emily pointed out.

The girls all stared at the two figures for sometime until they went gone.

"They knew each other?" Aria asked.

"I didn't know they knew each other." Spencer said.

"We don't know a lot of things, Spence." Kathlyn added.

"What did he just give her?" Hanna asked.  

——————————

The next day, Spencer immediately went to talk to Kathlyn. 

"What is this?" Kathlyn asked. 

"Okay, so this is the favor I asked from Toby. This is Jenna's phone and I figured that we might see something here related to 2-1-4." Spencer explained. 

"Okay?" Kathlyn stared at the phone for a second and then looked back at Spencer. "And we need to open this thing, right?" 

Spencer just nodded. 

Kathlyn and Spencer then went to look for Caleb. Kathlyn handed the cellphone to the boy. 

"Where did you get this? The year 2020?" Caleb asked them.

"Caleb, this is for someone who has special needs." Kathlyn vaguely explained. 

"Okay. Well, we might need to call NASA to turn it on." Caleb sarcastically commented. 

"Take however long you need." 

"No. Take an hour. It has to be returned as soon as possible, or the person who borrowed it might be in trouble." Spencer cut off Kathlyn, then the former left, leaving Kathlyn and Caleb. 

"They should be." Caleb commented but Spencer didn't hear it anymore. 

Caleb then looked at Kathlyn, "Stealing a blind person's phone? That's sick."

Kathlyn sighed and then shook her head, "Caleb, we don't do this for fun. We just need something from that phone. Please." 

Caleb sighed and Kathlyn took that as a 'yes'.

——————————

Their rehearsal just ended and Kathlyn was in a good mood since Prof. Duncan didn't attend the rehearsal. It seems the professor's kinda busy since he has to catch up with everything that's happening as he is transferring in the middle of the school year. 

Kathlyn's phone beeped. 

"Meet me outside"
— Caleb

"Yo, what's up?" Kathlyn greeted the guy. 

"This phone is out of my league. I can't crack it, and I know you're dealing with a time issue." Caleb told the brunette and pulled out the phone from his pocket. 

"Wait, are you just gonna give up?" Kathlyn asked. "Caleb, this is important!" 

"Why? Why are you breaking and entering Jenna Cavanaugh's phone?" Caleb questioned. 

"It's none..." Kathlyn was cut off by her own thoughts. "How did you know it was Jenna's?" 

Caleb sighed, "Because I am not blind." 

Caleb was about to walk away when Kathlyn reached out for his arm to stop him. Caleb stopped his tracks and then looked at the hand Kathlyn used. It was the bruised hand. 

Immediately, the brunette pulled her hand back. 

"Are we not gonna talk about what happened this morning?" 

"Because I want to." 

"Fvck off." Kathlyn threw a middle finger then left.