{ 37. Lies and Betrayal }

Kathlyn arrived in school just in time because there's no cheer practice, and she was immediately greeted by Caleb.

"You're late."

Kathlyn just rolled her eyes, "Can we talk about last night first?"

"What's there to talk about?"

"Well, the fact that you're hanging out at the principal's couch." Kathlyn pulled Caleb's arm forcing the latter to look at her. 

"Do you wanna play guidance counselor or do you wanna pay off your friend's debt?" Caleb told the girl.

"Point out the kids who have money to burn," Caleb continued while looking around them. 

"Fine." Kathlyn said, "One name, one answer."

Before Caleb could answer, a girl wearing a floral dress walked by. 

"Hey, Alyanna." Kathlyn greeted the girl. 

"Hi, Kath. How are you?" Alyanna greeted the brunette back. 

"So-so, you know. Do you know my friend here, Caleb?" Kathlyn said, subtly introducing the boy beside him to the girl. 

"Sort of." Alyanna answered, and then after a few moments of silence, the girl walked away. 

"Alyanna Wu, total party girl. Just bring her a bottle of something strong and you're gonna be best of friends." Kathlyn said while looking at Caleb. 

"Your turn. Where are you from?" Kathlyn continued.

"A lot of places." Caleb simply answered. 

"Really?" Kathlyn said while rolling her eyes, "I gave a name, and sort of a brief description. Do the same."

Caleb sighed, "Seattle, Salt Lake, Denver, Chicago, and here."

"Your turn." 

Kathlyn then looked around and spotted someone, "Lindsay Hoover. She looks like your typical nerdy introverted girl, but she's got cash. Wanna get close to her? Talk to her about her grandfather." 

"Why don't you report your foster parents?" Kathlyn asked the guy. 

"To who? My social worker?" Caleb asked, "I've had four in the last six months. They can't even remember my name. The last one called me 'Calvin'"

"When's the last time you saw your real parents?" Kathlyn asked, taking chances. 

Caleb just shook his head, "It's gonna take a lot more than names to hear about them." And then he walked away. 

———————————

Kathlyn and Caleb arrived at the pool area, Kathlyn's gonna be watching Emily's swim competition and so because Caleb needed her reputation, the latter tagged along. Kathlyn saw her friends but then she can't bring the guy to their area because Hanna's gonna be suspicious, and of course, Aria also. 

So Kathlyn dragged Caleb to a bench far from her friends. 

"Which one's Alyanna and which one's Lindsay, again?" Caleb asked the brunette. 

Kathlyn looked around and then spotted Alyanna, "Alyanna's the one drinking from her purse." 

"Thanks.  I gotta go." Caleb said and then he stood up and walked towards Alyanna's. Then, Kathlyn also stood up to go to her friends.