That was a Bad One*

Start from the beginning

"You going to be okay now?"

"Yeah. God, that was a bad one."

"Why didn't you tell anyone you had PTSD Xael?"

"Adam...I was a combat medic. What medic doesn't have PTSD?  Besides, it's on the service vests."

"Sorry, we didn't notice that till afterwards. You have episodes like that often."

"No, not anymore. Can we not talk about this now? Please?"

"Yeah, I'm just glad you're going to be okay."

She smiled at him and moved to get out of the bed. Her grandma had undressed her once she was on the bed. She only had on a tank top and her undies, but she didn't seem to mind exposing herself to him. He stood so she could get out of the bed; he saw how muscular and curvy her body really was and the extent of her burns. They covered one leg from the ankle up to her hip, up both arms from her wrists to her elbows and part of her chest. He couldn't help but look at her until he heard a voice.

"You're staring at me again..."

"Sorry, I can't help it, you're close to being naked Xael."

"Whatever, will wait for me?" She looked at him as she grabbed some clothes from her bag to change into and went into the bathroom.

"Sure."

Xael realized she wasn't wearing a bra. Before she could get her brain to override her mouth, it was too late. "God, I am practically naked..."

"Told you so."

She put on a bra, t-shirt and sweatpants. Even though lodge would be going on in a few hours, she wanted to be comfortable as she worked on things for afterwards. She came out of the bathroom and grabbed the jacket that went with the sweats.

She walked up to him and sat on his lap as he was sitting on the edge of the bed. She wrapped her arms around herself; her head once again resting in the crook of his neck.

"You know, you're awfully clingy all of a sudden."

"Because I'm in pain. I get like this when I'm hurting, plus your Alpha scent is comforting and you feel safe. I can stop hugging you and go back to keeping you at a distance." She went to pull away, but he tightened his hold on her.

"I'd prefer it, if you didn't."  Shado was staring at her again as she raised her head to look at him.

"Xael?'

"Hm?"

"Why can't I smell your scent?"

She looked at him for a few seconds. "Because I keep it hidden."

Xael wasn't ready to have this discussion with him. "Let's go, you have a sweat lodge to get ready for."

She stood up and headed towards the kitchen. Her Grams and the Sheriff were chatting away.

"There she is. How you feelin' Xael."

"Like I've been hit by a truck. Thanks for your help. Thanks Grams." She hugged the woman from behind and sat next to her, resting her head on her shoulder.  Xael inhaled her grandmother's scent deeply, letting out a sigh.

"You always smell so good Grammy."

Her grandmother turned her head and kissed her on the forehead.

"Xael hun, why didn't you tell me you had PTSD."

"Cause I hate talking about it and I was doing better with it until today. Sorry for worrying you."

"Is it from the service Xael?" Sheriff Skylar was like an uncle to her so he was truly worried about her.

"Yeah."

"Well, I'll make sure there are no more fireworks at the powwows."

"It's ok Sheriff.  If I know it's something that will happen, it won't bother me. If it's unexpected, that's when it gets to me."

"I see, those wolves really freaked everyone out."

Xael raised up and looked at him with furrowed brows. "What wolves?"

Everyone was looking at her.

"Uh, the wolves that wouldn't let anyone but Adam close to you."

"Oh, you mean Moose and Gunner?"

"No Xael, I mean the group of wild wolves that showed up!"

Xael looked at Shado who nodded that they were right, she then turned to her Grams. The Elder smiled at her and caressed her cheek.

"They didn't hurt anyone did they?"

"No, just scared the shit out of everyone." Shado could always be counted on to be honest.

"Sorry, I don't know why that happens. Gunner and Moose must've howled for them."

Xael was over talking about it for now. Work needed to be done and Beau was on his way.

"Beau's coming. You guys need to change for lodge."  Xael stood up as everyone looked at her.

"You and your strange senses." Sheriff chuckled at her.