Conversation

Linda plopped down on the couch, "we are never going to get out of here."
"That's not true. We'll get the house. I know we will." Danny sat next to her, putting his arm around her.
She laid her head on his shoulder, sighing. "I hope so."
************
That night, Danny found himself sitting in front of a huge tv screen. On it was displayed the times he and Linda had had together. He kept waiting for the good ones, but the bad ones always played. He saw himself yelling at her, anger rolling off him. He watched himself grab his coat and storm out the door. His heart broke when he saw Linda sink to the couch, arms around herself. She hung her head and started crying.
Another memory that played was the time he had almost hit her. The case he was working on really dug into his mind, and was affecting how he treated others. He had made a hand gesture, nearly missing Linda's cheek. She was yelling at him to stop acting that way.
Danny watched as the memory changed. He knew he had never hit her, but on the screen, he grabbed her arm, and slapped her across the face. He hit her again and again, leaving her in tears and bruises.
The cool air surrounded Danny as he woke up. He closed his eyes, as if banishing the dream. Looking to Linda, he sighed. She looked so peaceful as she slept, half her face hidden in the pillows. He ran his finger over her bare arm, picturing the cute freckles that dotted the skin.
With the dream still on his mind, he slipped out of bed and down to the kitchen. He knew what he had to do; she had done so much for him, the least he could do was call this one person.
***********
Linda yawned as she got out of bed. She grabbed her robe and walked into Sean's room. She frowned when she didn't see her baby. She went to Jack's room, and didn't see him either. She was worried as she nearly flew down the stairs, hoping they were down there. When she saw them in the kitchen, she put her hand over her Heart and sighed.
Mary turned around, "I figured I'd let you sleep a little while longer."
Linda smiled, kissing Sean's head. "Thank you." She kissed Jack's head as well, looking at the coffee pot. She walked over to the counter, and poured herself a cup. She put creamer and sugar in it, then took a long, slow sip. "Oh, how I missed you!"
Mary chuckled as she sat down. "Any other things you're doing now that you couldn't do before?"
"If you're talking about sex, then, no. Not yet." She sat down as well, "the doctor hasn't cleared me yet. I haven't talked to Danny about it, and Sean's still not sleeping through the night. I think it's just better to wait till everyone sleeps through the night. Or most of it, at least."
"Do you miss it?"
"Do I ever!.... speaking of which, where's Danny?"
"He had to go in early. Said he'd call you around nine, and wants to meet you for lunch."
Linda smiled, "in that case, would you mind-"
"I'd gladly watch your babies for an hour or two."
She put her hand on Mary's. "Thank you." She stood up and took another sip of coffee, "I'll pump some milk. Sean eats constantly, and is exclusively on the milk. Do it in moderation, okay? Cause he's like his father, if there's food in front of him, he will eat it."
Mary laughed, walking to the refrigerator to see how many bottles they had. "We've got Two already."
Linda nodded, "I'll pump two more, I guess. Just in case."
"Why don't you take a long, hot shower afterwards? You deserve it. I'll take Jack to school, it'll be fun, right, Jack?"
Jack nodded, his mouth full of pancakes. He didn't understand the things his Mom and grandma were taking about, but he knew preschool was fun, and grandma was even more fun.
"Are you sure you can handle it?" Linda frowned, "I'm sorry; of course you can handle it. You have four of your own."
"It's okay, sweetie. It's the mother in you talking. Go do what you have to do. I'll be gone by the time you're done with the shower, but I'll be back soon."
Linda hugged Mary, "thank you. You're the best." She kissed her cheek and headed upstairs.