Chapter 14

After waking up at six, I knew that the only way I'd release enough endorphins to numb the ache that is media day would be to jog to work. I was showered and fresh so that I'd look presentable in front of the paddock cameras. Seb was kind enough to offer up his morning to jog into work with me. It was more than I could've expected, especially since he'd also be giving up his evening for my more intimate birthday celebration. Lewis would've done the same but I told him to have a lie-in since his first interview wasn't until the group one at noon.

Several cameras were on us during the journey to the track. I tried not to focus on them or the possible stories that'd inevitably come from just being seen with Seb. The media is ruthless no matter what I do and it's rather infuriating. I seriously don't know how some of the other drivers deal with it. I've been told to just ignore it many times but it's hard to just push aside that feeling you get when people start believing something about yourself that you know is wrong.

We arrived with plenty of time to spare, a relief considering I needed to touch up my makeup before my first interview. Damien met us there (he drove, the lazy git) and didn't hesitate to hand me my timetable upon seeing me hanging with Seb:

09:00-09:45 - WTF1, McLaren Paddock, Room 5
10:00-11:30 - Various, Interviewing Area
12:00-12:15 - Pre-Race Conference
12:20-13:00 - Team Meeting, Mercedes Paddock, Room 1
14:00-15:00 - Netflix, Mercedes Paddock, Room 2
15:30-16:00 - Various, Interviewing Area
FINISHED!

Seb inhaled sharply through his teeth as he peered over my shoulder. "That sucks - you're here all day."

"And I've only got twenty minutes before it all starts." I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed. "What a great way to spend my birthday!" The sarcasm dripped from every word. Seb sympathetically wrapped an arm around my shoulder and rested his head against mine.

"At least you start with Matt," Damien pointed out. "He's always a laugh."

I looked down at my timetable once again, this time looking for the positives. At least there's a break of some kind between each session so I can have a breather. Also, I haven't had a Netflix interview since pre-season testing. My guess is they'd be focusing on my below-average weekend in Bahrain and how I plan on clawing my way back. I know Lewis's interview last race weekend was about where he finished, and then he had another one after getting the podium. Hopefully I'll be able to make something good of this weekend - last year wasn't particularly great.

"Do you know any specifics for the 'various' interviews?" I asked, looking up at Damien from my timetable.

He shrugged his shoulders, causing me to roll my eyes. "Probably just a bunch of different channels."

"I gathered that much, and do you know why I start my day at McLaren?"

Once again, Damien shrugged his shoulders. "No idea - ask when you get there."

"If anyone causes you any grief today, you come and find me," Seb said in all seriousness. "I'll try and find you during the lunch break but I should probably track down Britta for my own timetable."

"I hope it's better than mine," I replied, leaning against him as he gently squeezed my shoulder.

"So do I. See you later, Lys, and you, Damien." With one last squeeze, Seb then started to head off in the direction of the Ferrari paddock. I mumbled my goodbye before he left.