Chapter 87

dw i'll go into a life update in the a/n at the end to explain why it took so long to get this up

thanks for sticking by me, and a loving welcome to every new reader!

don't forget to leave your comments throughout and vote if you enjoyed <3 it's a lovely long one with a little bit of everything so i'm expecting a lot of comments (nudge nudge wink wink)

~***~

"So," Max looked across the breakfast bar to me Friday morning, "are you going to tell me how yesterday went with Toto?"

"Ooh!" I dropped my spoon down into my bowl of porridge and wiped the corners of my mouth, swallowing whatever I had left in my mouth so I could talk. Since I had decided to stay late that night, going around the team and offering my apologies and aiding them in the setup ahead of the weekend, Max had long since fallen asleep by the time I crawled in bed next to him. "You cannot repeat a word of this to anyone until it's announced to the media, okay?"

"Of course, schatje."

I tucked my hair behind my ears. "I'm not fired, however Lewis is retiring at the end of the season so I'm getting a new teammate."

The shock was evident on Max's features, and his fork that he had been stabbing into his bowl of fruit nearly clattered to the table. "Why?"

"He felt his time in the sport was coming to an end, and he wants to step back to focus on himself and his health," I said. "I've got George Russell next year as a teammate, but there's an understanding that I'm going to be continuing my role as first driver."

Max ran his tongue over his lips and shifted his weight onto his elbows, the spoon he held in his hand resting in his half-finished bowl of cereal. "I think I'm going to be sad to see Lewis go, but that's great news for you." In my head, I challenged his comments. Lewis and Max were never close, most of his positive thoughts on the driver coming from the fact that I loved him as my teammate. "Hopefully next year we'll still be fighting each other for the championship because you're the best looking competition I've ever had."

I rolled my eyes at his comment to hide how my heart skipped a beat. "Hurry up and eat your cereal," I said, standing up from my seat. "If you're not ready by the time I've changed, I'm heading to the circuit without you."

"But eating quickly in the morning hurts my stomach!" Max protested. He forced a spoonful into his mouth through the large frown.

Childishly, I repeated his words back to him in a high, almost incomprehensible voice, before returning back to my normal tone. "Eat what you can, then. Don't forget, we're meeting Esteban and Kudz for dinner after the practice sessions today." As it was my former teammate's birthday, I couldn't exactly turn down Kudzai when she offered for us to join them at dinner.