~***~

this story takes place in alyssa's pov

this story takes place in alyssa's pov. make sure you've read the first book 'lights out' in this series before you start on this one - spoilers will follow (duh)

***

"You'll never be as good as the rest of the grid."

"Look at you! You're weak! I'm surprised that car hasn't snapped you in half yet."

"You should've kept the helmet on. We all feel so cheated by your attention-seeking stunt."

They didn't stop.

Although I had never expected for every response to be positive, a part of me had hoped that I had done enough to prove my place in the sport. Apparently it's impossible to please some people. The same people considered my strong fourth place finish in the championship to be a fluke, or something I had bought my way into. Those comments really did make me laugh.

"It's about time there was a woman in the sport."

"When I grow up, I'm going to be a racer just like you, 'A'!"

"What you're doing to this sport makes me proud to be a woman."

It was far from all negative. Hearing the good comments made my heart fill with joy and I could quickly ignore the bad. I was carving the path for other women in the sport to be able to get to my position without the need of a huge secret. To myself, I had proven that I belonged in the sport, however that wouldn't be enough if I want to move forwards. I had to prove that not only I should stay, but I should be a contender for the championship. My goals have become more ambitious but I won't stop until I become one of the greats.

That being said, there were certainly some nerves as the new season approached. There were a lot of expectations I'll have to meet and exceed within the first few races or else people's respect for me as a driver will quickly diminish. It was never going to be easy having a seven-time world champion as a teammate and it only adds to the pressure. I'll need to turn my anxieties into determination or else my career will end before it even really starts.

At the start of the season, the playing fields will be level. I will push, and push, and push until the very end. Away we go as equals, but I won't stop until I'm one of the greats.

***

this is basically the starter chapter, like the prologue for 'lights out'. I'm posting this now to give everyone an opportunity to add this book to their libraries so that you'll be notified when the first chapter is up. as of yet, I don't know when that'll be. this will probably be edited at a later date lmao I'm very indecisive about these things.

also, notice the cover change? I wanted the two books to match each other and thought what better way to do that then have the same design but with the colour scheme of the team our fav gal alyssa is driving for in the story.

I need to establish a race calendar for this season so let me know if there are any tracks you'd like to be included (even if they're not on the calendar!)

disclaimer: the portrayal of real life people in this book is not an accurate representation. some scenarios are made up and do not reflect the real person's morals, views, and attitudes.