Chapter 70

pretend it hasn't been a month, please

pretend it hasn't been a month, please. i would say i'm sorry but i warned you about my break so really you should've expected it js 😌. it isn't over, but it should be soon. you might need to re-read the chapter before you read this one since it's been so long (give me reads xoxo).

thanks for all your love and support, but please in the future refrain from spamming my inbox/message board with questions about when i'll next be uploading because they make me feel like shitplus i ignore and delete when and where i can so i don't have to see it.

~***~

The German Grand Prix weekend was one that I had always loved, although it hadn't been the most kind to me the last time we raced here. The Mercedes car that I drive every race weekend was very well suited to this circuit and seemed to have the perfect balance already in the first practice session. High temperatures were expected all weekend, giving us a good indication of what our pace could be like during the actual race. It always made me feel a little better knowing that I didn't have much work to do, something I'm sure all the other drivers on the grid would agree with me on.

Similarly to my performance in the first practice session, I was able to dominate over the rest of the grid, setting a time three tenths over Max, who happened to be my closest competition. My highs from the sessions were short-lived not only by my general ability to drag my mood down by my own stupid thoughts, but also because this was my last Grand Prix weekend with Stoffel Vandoorne as my teammate. Lewis's recovery had been going well and, even with the occasional setbacks he had faced, he was set and ready to make his racing return in Spa after the summer break. Whilst I'll be glad to have my experienced teammate back, I really am going to miss him; it's much harder to bully Lewis than it is Stof. I'm just going to have to be extra mean this weekend in honour of our time together as teammates.

Stof had some extra work that he needed to do to better prepare himself for qualifying the following day and so stayed back to do some work. Being the nice teammate that I am, I offered to stay and give him some tips here and there, but not enough so that he would beat me - I'm not an idiot. This is still a team sport at the end of the day and I wanted Mercedes to win the Constructor's Championship, which they could only do if both drivers are on form.

"Have you tried just being a better driver?" I queried when we finally finished up for the day. All of the papers of data that had been strewn across the desk were being shuffled back into a pile by Stoffel's engineer, and he failed an attempt to cover up his laughter with a cough. Watching Stof frown at me brought some much needed serotonin. "Look at where it got me - I'm leading the championship!"

"You know," Stof began with a sarcastic smile, "I have no idea what I'm going to do without you bugging me every race weekend."

"I'm sure I'll be able to take some time out of my busy schedule to watch you driver your vacuum cleaner cars every now and again so you'll never be missing me too much."