Chapter 25

Runaway

My heart was at peace because of what Leo had told me. It was like everything is normal.

Kanina pa ako nakauwi at nandito ako ngayon sa kwarto. Nakaupo sa harap ng vanity table habang sinusuklay ang may kalambutan kong kulot na buhok.

A genuine smile slips through my lips upon remembering what happened earlier.

There's nothing better than a guy who understands and reassures you despite your battle between yourself. A man who will make you feel so right and worth it and would choose you even though you feel like you are not even sure with yourself. A man who is willing to wait despite of the uncertainties.

For you. Only for you.

But that tiny peace and happiness that's growing into my heart slowly fades away the moment Dave walk silently inside my room, giving me that  same expression he always wears everytime he's about to tell something that can probably broke my world.

"H-Hera... the engagement has been decided." Mahinang aniya.

Natigil ako sa pagsuklay ng aking buhok at tinignan siya mula sa salamin.

"W-What?" Halos hindi makapaniwalang sambit ko. My mind seems to stop functioning and I can barely even breathe clearly. Did... I heard it right?

Goodness. What's happening to my family?

"Lean is... she's going to marry him, and the date has been decided."

I stood up firmly and went to him. He heaved a deep sigh.

"How could you...." I can't even finish my sentence. I massaged the side of my forehead as I groaned frustratedly. My eyes welled up. "You were there yet you didn't even do something!" My brows were deeply furrowed and my voice quivered with so much rage.

Dave look at me with pain in his eyes. He sat on my bed and ruffled his hair like a frustrated man that he is.

The veins on his arms protruded.

Unconsciously, I started to walk back and forth in front of him as my mind wander through the deepest.

Naiisip ko pa lang ang pinsan ko na mapipilitang gawin ang bagay na hindi niya gusto at magpapakasal sa isang taong hindi niya mahal for the sake of our family pains me real hard.

I may not be really that close to my cousins but I still care for them. A family is still a family. They will always have a soft spot in our heart no matter how badly they wronged us.

"Lean is still too young for this! Jesus, she's just freaking nineteen!" Giit ko. "You could've done something!" I breathed deeply hoping that my anger would subside, but the emotions that's ruling me at this moment was just too strong.

Tinignan ko siya na ngayon ay nakayuko. "Goodness Dave, you are the first born in our line..." I said in a slow and emotional manner. Pinipilit at umaasang sana ay nakuha niya ang nais kong iparating sa sinabi kong iyon.

He's the first born among us. I was expecting that maybe... just maybe... he would do something against the will of the elders.

Galit ako sa kaniya. Iyan ang tunay na nararamdaman ko. Hindi ko kasi maintindihan kung bakit hindi niya magawang sumuway sa kanila. He can do it if he only wants.

As their grandchildren, siguro naman ay may karapatan kaming kumontra sa mga ginagawa nila lalo na kung buhay namin ang nakataya roon. This is no joke. We have the rights to be heard!

It's a marriage for convenience for heaven's sake! This isn't just something to be taken lightly nor to be ignored. We're talking about life! Marriage! They're basically manipulating us!