Cold As Ice

FLASH-FORWARD, THREE YEARS FROM NOW-- CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, 2016

Stefan, still in his bloodstained gray shirt, is in the middle of packing another bag while Valerie argues with him about his plans.

Stefan, you can't go. "She told him.

Stefan throws his bag onto the couch before anxiously peeking out through the closed blinds over the window to make sure the mysterious huntress hasn't followed him.

Once he's sure the coast is clear, he turns back to Valerie, who looks at him with worry.

She has Damon and Caroline. "He told her.

Valerie gives him a frustrated look.

Because she wants you. "She said.

Stefan returns to packing his bag, and throws in what look like several vervain bombs.

Well, then she's gonna get me. Oh, and I, uh, burned my Porsche, so I kind of need to borrow your car... "He trailed.

Valerie walks over to him and stares at him intensely.

I'm coming with you. "She stated.

No, you're not. "He said firmly.

Stefan. "She said.

She already has two people that I care about. "He said.

Stefan sighs and walks closer to Valerie so he can caress her cheek with his hand.

When he speaks again, his voice is even more gentle.

I'm not gonna let her have a third, okay? "He told her.

Valerie sighs in defeat, though she is visibly unhappy about having to stay behind and gives him a very serious look.

If anything happens to you, I will rain hell down on anyone responsible. "She told him.

Stefan smiles weakly at her before chuckling softly.

Don't be so dramatic. "He said.

Stefan leans forward and kisses Valerie softly for a long moment before he pulls away, sighing unhappily at the thought of leaving her.

I'll be back before you know it. "He told her.

Stefan grabs his bag heads out the door, leaving Valerie behind at the apartment to worry about what Stefan is walking into.

PRESENT DAY-- MYSTIC FALLS CEMETERY, 2013

We're carrying Lily's coffin to the family plot where we dug a hole to bury her.

We join Nora and Valerie.

Damon looks unimpressed.

Well, this it? This the whole funeral party? "He asked.

He looks directly at Nora.

Where's your girlfriend? "He asked her.

Not your concern. "She said uncomfortable.

Trouble in paradise? "Damon asked amused.

I smacked him.

He just shrugged.

What about Julian? Where is he? "Stefan asked.

Nora looks even more uncomfortable, though she gives them an unamused look.

I haven't heard from either of them in days. I sided with Lily, or did you forget? "Nora said annoyed.