Chapter 40: The Sacrifice

Hi everyone!!  SK here.

You know what just happened.  I know what just happened.  So I'm just gonna go ahead and start the chapter now.  I hope you enjoy it!! :D (There will also be a lot of POV switches, just warning you all).

And just so you know... I cried while writing this..

Ash

I blink my eyes open with a groan, and a dazzling light almost blinds me.  I go to shield my face, squinting as I do so.  I spot Serena getting up beside me, and I give her a hand to help her up.  Pikachu, Greninja, and Sylveon are out with us too.  

The ground below us doesn't seem like ground at all.  Numerous lights, coming from all the colours of the earth, water, and sky, race each other back and forth right under our feet.  I gaze slowly at the blanket of stars above us, their beautiful light bathing the area in warmth and safety.  I meet Serena's eyes in silence, and grab her hand.  I can see the stars in her eyes.  

"Together," I say.

"Together," she repeats.

We both turn and take a step forward.  The light under our feet ripples outward as we step on it, pulsing in a circle just like the shine of the stars above us.  I look back, and the bridge crumbles apart behind us.  I turn around.  No looking back.  Only forwards.

Even if what's coming is going to break me.

"Ash," I hear Serena whisper.  "Look."

I look forward and I see the faint outline of two figures standing side by side.  I clutch Serena's hand tighter.  We continue going forward, further and further, until I can see the figures clearer.  One is Zagan, and the other I can only assume to be Lita.  There is something else that I notice too; just beyond the fairies, the path splits apart.  

Serena and I... are going to have to separate.

I turn to her.  "I'm scared," I admit.

She looks at me, and she shockingly has a smile on her face.  "Ash, my Ash, scared?"  She laughs.  "Things will be okay, My Love, I promise.  The paths split for now; and although it looks like spirits separate, there is only one spirit realm.  We'll be together.  You have to be brave for me, okay?"

I lean into her.  "I will."

We step forward to meet Lita and Zagan.  "Greetings, Ash and Serena," Zagan greets formally.

"Greetings," we say in unison, sorrow evident in both of us.

"I am so sorry that things had to turn out this way for each of you, as well as the rest of the fairies," Lita admits sadly.  "And although things could be simple if we took each of you away, life never works out to be that way."

We both stare in confusion.

"The power of the Ritual comes from separating Mist Pokemon from their fairies," Zagan explains.  "A fairy must give up their Pokemon... their one Pokemon.  For you, Serena, it is simple.  But for Ash, it is not the case."

"Ash, you have two Pokemon," Lita gently reiterates.  "You only have to separate from one.  But since fairies only need one bonded Pokemon to survive, you, and all the other Dark Fairies, will live."

It takes a few moments for everything to sink in.

I have to abandon one of my Pokemon.

And I have to live, while Serena dies.  I have to live years, a thousand years, without the one I love.