Chapter 38

I sat down, my leg bouncing. My fingers drummed idly on my knee as I waited for the interviewer. I mean, I had made it this far! I was in Italy, being flown in for the chance of a lifetime to work abroad in a hospital.

Of course I should be confident in myself, but there are people way more experienced than me who get turned away for these kinds of things. The butterflies just wouldn't stop, and by the time the door opened I think I might've almost had a heart attack.

"Ms. Percy?" An older man with an accent entered the room. It wasn't Italian, and I pondered on it while I gave him a smile.

"Yes, that's me, Mr.-" He gave me a big grin.

"Mr. Abara, I'll be interviewing you today. To skip some obvious questions on why you're here, I want to ask, what made you become a doctor?"

I blinked. I didn't prepare that and Matteo certainly didn't ask it in my mock interview. I mean, that was the kind of question I'd get asked in internships, or when I first picked my major, but now?

"Well. . ." My voice trailed off. It caught me off guard, so I sugarcoat or tell the truth? "My mother actually."

He nodded, "Always wanted a surgeon for a daughter?"

I chuckled, shaking my head. "No, actually. She died when I was young from something preventable." I spoke softly, my eyes going up to meet his. "No one believed she was in pain, and she couldn't get the help she needed in time."

"I'm very sorry to hear that. Why did that make you choose this path?"

"I guess the basic answer is I want to help people." I muttered before shrugging. "I want to do more then that though, I want to help heal people. Our jobs may be to heal the body, but the mind is important too. I feel-" Oh crap! I'm rambling!

"Uhm, but um yeah." I awkwardly finished, silently recoiling. I can't believe I started running my mouth, I never do that!

"You have a good heart." Mr. Abara smiled at me. "I think you'd be an amazing fit for our program."

My lips parted in a huge grin. "Thank you so much!" I couldn't believe it, I actually made it! I knew my mom was looking down on me right now, kicking ass and taking names!

Italy was going to be life-changing.

~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~

(Trigger warning: Gore(?) and like torture?)

The pain was excruciating.

Rose let out a screech that rang loud in Luciano's ears. The woman dropped the gun, falling to her knees, as she let out chocked sobs.

As soon as she pulled the trigger, the gun exploded in her hands.

Her skin blistered from the intense heat, the pain causing her head to swim. Only, she wasn't out of it enough to block out the man laughing in front of her.

"I didn't expect you to be so noble!" Nero grinned, before turning to the camera in the corner of the room. "See? Able to pick up even the smallest details!" He seemed to be speaking to someone far away.

Rose tried to sift through her pain. Her right hand was so messed up she could hardly move it. All her fingers were still there, well, she hoped.

The woman tried to stand, but a foot knocked her back down. "Agh!" She gritted her teeth at the pain of catching herself on her hands. Not able to take the strain, she collapsed to the ground face first.