Chapter 6

"Girl, how is it back in the States?" I found myself asking my longtime childhood friend, Valentine.

"It's good, you know. I have the worst luck trying to get a job in the city! But, oh yeah, guess who I talked to the other day?" She said excitedly.

My eyebrow raised, "Who?" I asked while checking my bag.

Luciano should be here at any moment to pick me up and if I was late to my first day, it wasn't about to be on me.

"Anya! She has her own piece of Italiano on her arm and it made me think about you."

She mused, "She actually just sent me an invite to a girls reunion. Gabriela's got hers so I decided to let you know as a heads up since you suck at checking the mail."

I let out a laugh, "I'm busy! Anyways, sure I'll be on the lookout for it."

A few knocks rang through my apartment.

Finally!

"What's that?" Val's voice questioned through the phone as I smirked.

"That's my piece of Italiano coming to pick me up, love you! Bye!" I hung up quickly, shaking my head at my friend.

She's crazy.

Glancing at the clock I could see it was 8:15 am and I groaned.

I hated relying on people for things that I could do on my own. Waiting on a ride, when I could've just left as soon as I was ready, is pure agony!

I grabbed my bag before taking one last look at everything. You know making sure lights were off, things were settled. Once I was satisfied, I opened the door.

"Hey." Luciano gave me a closed lip smile. His striking dark hair appeared damp. Almost like he just got out of the shower.

I know this man did not just wake up. I narrowed my eyes at him.

His eyes were steely. Analyzing as he looked over me and once they reached my face, they softened.

"Hi, I thought punctuality was your thing?" I questioned as I stepped out of the apartment. Turning to lock the door I could hear him chuckle.

"Everyone has their off days." I turned to face him and he gestured for me to give him my bag. I raised an eyebrow, handing it to him.

"Would you laugh if I told you I missed you in the time we were apart?" Luciano winked at me as I rolled my eyes.

"Should I even respond to that?" I wondered aloud as we made our way down to the lobby. Going out of the door, I waved to the secretary who always greeted me with a smile, only to frown at her look of fear.

What's that about?

~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~

"Yet another corpse found earlier this morning in the streets of Cantania. Violence has increased but it seems all other activity ha-"

"Hey!" Rose glared at Luciano who had a scowl on his face.

"Why listen to the news so early in the morning? Do you want to start the day depressed?"

She narrowed her eyes at him, "No, but I'd rather not be clueless to what's going on around me. You have to admit, it is sad."

His orbs scanned the road as his fingers turned white from his tightening grip on the steering wheel. "Why? Because he died?"

"Of course there's that." She scoffed, "I just couldn't imagine being pushed to kill another person in such a gruesome way."

Luciano couldn't help as a chuckle escaped his lips, "Do I hear pity for the killer?"