Chapter Twenty: Meeting with the French

Start from the beginning

He had hoped to apologise for the hurt that he has caused her, perhaps even offer her some consolation for her after losing her Duchy like she had. 

"I must thank you brother for finding her a most suitable husband and providing for her while I could not," King Francis continued before his counterpart could speak, he looked to him knowing that he could not have asked for better treatment of her. 

Her marriage to the brother of the future Queen was a blessing and King Francis doubted he could have found a better match for her if he had tried.

"She is most dear to my heart, I should hope her time in England will be a comfortable one," King Francis told him, he looked away to search the room knowing that this would be his only warning to his friend. 

Should any harm befall Clarice then King Francis would not stand for it, she might not be his subject anymore but she was family and he feared what might happen to her especially with her disappointing the Pope as she had done. 

"As such I should warn you of His Holinesses displeasure," King Francis murmured turning back to King Henry, his words quiet so only the other King could hear him speak having no doubt that there would be spies for the Pope around reporting on his doings here. 

Clement had made his feelings on the matter clear when he had delivered Catherine de' Medici to France and King Francis would not have been surprised if he'd instructed people to watch his responses to the King of England or find a way to do away with the Lady Anne. 

"He is most displeased with your actions and asked me to deny my support of your marriage to the Lady Anne," King Francis whispered conspiratorially, he glanced around not knowing who would be watching them or listening in. 

His words brought a frown to King Henry, he should have known that His Holiness would seek to further undermine home; he would not be swayed from his decision to marry Anne. 

"I do not agree with him. I fear his acts are bore out of humiliation for believing the Dowager Princess of Wales," King Francis assured him, he was here as a friend and with King Henry's help perhaps he could deal a blow to the Emperor in more ways than one. 

He was hungry for power and should he succeed in taking France then there was no denying that he would turn his attentions to a place like England; he would install his aunt's daughter as a puppet on the throne to appease the people but the country would become a part of the Spanish Empire. 

"In this you shall have my support where I can give it," King Francis told him, he looked to King Henry knowing that together they would beat back the Emperor and that they would have a perfect alliance with Queen Anne.

The two men shared a look just as the music started up, announcing the start of the mask that had been prepared for them; ladies entered the room dressed in finery catching everyone's attention.  

King Francis clapped his hands, a look of joy on his face at the five ladies dressed like Greek muses as they took to the floor and started their dance; soon finding himself being led down from his throne to dance with the ladies. 

He felt rather sure that he could seduce perhaps one of them to his bed for the night, he could imagine that they would not deny a King; he twirled around looking at each of them, each pretty face covered in a mask with feathers. 

Moving down from his seat as the dance came to an end, King Henry moved behind the dancer that King Francis was dancing with and helped her remove her mask once the dance was over revealing Anne. 

"May I introduce my future Queen. The Lady Anne, the Duchess of Pembroke," King Henry announced holding out a hand for his beloved to take as she offered the King of France a curtsy.