Goodbye

Karina

I smiled in victory after finally getting my overstuffed suitcase closed.

"I still think you're making a mistake.", I heard a familiar voice say.

I turned around to see my brother, Giovanni, standing in the doorway.

"Gio, it's not a mistake. It's time. We're 18. We can go anywhere we want and do anything we want. Why would you want to stay here in the manor when there's a whole world out there?"

"You don't think I know that, Karina. Our father was one of the most ruthless men in the world. He can protect us from anything as long as we stay here. But how can we protect you from New York?"

I felt a tug within me. I walked over and hugged him.

"You don't have to protect me. I can do that myself."

"Rina!", I heard my little sister yell.

Gio and I walked to the room next door and saw the two-year-old playing with blocks.

"Hey, baby. What's wrong?"

She raised her arms, signaling me to pick her up.

Once she was in my arms, she flashed a huge smile.

"Rina.", she said as she laid her head on my chest.

"Aww. Did you miss your big sister?"

She nodded.

"Juice.", she said as she lifted her head.

"Let's go get you some juice and then find mom and dad."

"Okay."

I carried her to the kitchen and then handed her a juice box. I began cutting grapes for her.

Soon after, mom and dad walked into the kitchen.

They smiled as I placed the grapes in front of my sister.

"Aww. We're going to miss you helping out with your sister."

I walked over and hugged her.

"I'm gonna miss you all."

My dad and Gio joined in the hug.

"We love you, Karina.", Dad said.

"I love you too."

Dad wiped a tear from mom's face.

"God, why do you have to go so far?"

"Dad, it's less than two hours away."

We pulled apart and I went to grab my bags out my room.

"So, you weren't even going to tell me goodbye?"

I jumped before realizing who it was.

"Goodbye, Bruno.", I said before grabbing my jacket and my last suitcase.

"Well, I suggest you leave the way you came in before dad sees you.", I said while pointing at the window.

I started walking out my room.

"Do you not realize how hard this is for me? Your father took me in when I was 16 years old after my parents died. I saw him fall in love with your mom and have you and your siblings. I saw you grow up and for the longest, you were just my buddy's kid. Then, you turned 18 and we spent all that time together studying for finals and touring schools. I saw how smart and mature you are. Then, I finally looked at you and I saw how beautiful and amazing you are. Then, you kissed me when I dropped you off and it took everything I had to walk away from you. You're 13 years younger than me. I fell in love with someone I could never have. Someone I shouldn't have."