Eye For Eye

Giovanni:

"What are you doing here?"

We both sat down on the couch.

I looked in her eyes and saw uncertainty and confusion.

"I needed to see you."

"Why?"

"Because that's what I was told."

I looked at her in confusion.

"I was told to come here and distract you and when you least expect it to kill Victor."

"What?! Who ordered that?"

"My fiancé."

"Fiancé?"

"His name is Dylan O'Connor. He became the Boss of the Irish Mafia when you executed my entire family."

She said the last part of her sentence grievously.

"You've barely been gone a month. You've already gotten engaged to him."

"It's the only way for him to stay the don. I don't want to be the boss if it means I have to hurt people."

I gave her a small smile. She was so innocent.

"You were literally born for that reason."

"Too bad it didn't work out.",Tamara mumbled.

I rested my hand on her knee.

"So what are you going to do?"

I saw her eyes water.

"I don't know. I'm scared, Giovanni."

Her lip began trembling.

I pulled her into a hug. I stroked her hair as she sobbed in my chest.

"I knew you couldn't do it."

We pulled apart and turned to see a man standing at the door.

I stood and withdrew my gun.

"Who are you?"

He pulled out a gun from behind his back.

"This is Dylan.", Tamara said quietly.

I was filled with rage and disgust.

"What? You came here to kill my brother?", I chuckled dryly.

"No, I came here to kill you. I knew that Tamara wouldn't be able to do it. I knew that you would be the one to try and comfort her. You can only blame Tamara. She talked about you so much when we finally brought her home.", he said before pointing a gun at me.

"What? No! This wasn't the plan. You said you wouldn't hurt Giovanni."

"Aww. Careful Tamara. You're starting to sound like you have feelings for him."

"Leave her alone. Your problem is with me."

"No. My problem is that they're people like you in the world. That they're mobs like this one. You try to look as if you're better than others. You try to twist your purposes around to make you look like the good guys, but in reality you're the same as me. We both kill people. We both like it. We're in love with that moment of power and satisfaction when you can literally feel the life leave someone's body. The only difference is that I've embraced it. I've embraced that I'm full of darkness and that I'll probably get whisked away into a sea of nothingness when I die."

He paused and looked at Tamara.

"Let's see what happens to you."

I heard an almost inaudible crack when the bullet flew passed me. I heard a soft thud. The floor vibrated. I heard gasping. And before I could process it, I heard my name being whispered.

"Giovanni."

I looked down and saw the bloody mess of Tamara.