Chapter 74

They woke up the next morning around 10 am, and didn't have much time to spend home, so they got up really fast and had a shower even faster. The weather was rather good and sunny in San Francisco, but James told her to put on some warm clothes and to take a coat with her too, so Rafaela put on some jeans, a white shirt and a white sweater that she tied around her waist. James was in grey jeans, a black shirt and grabbed a black sweater. Rafaela also saw him taking his coat out of the wardrobe.

"Did you pack gloves and scarves, maybe some hats too?" He asked her.

Rafaela looked at him rather surprised. He warned her that it was going to be cold but she didn't think it would be that cold. Where were they going, North Pole?

"No, is it going to be that cold?" She asked back.

"Yes it is, maybe you should put on some boots Rafi." He said looking at her feet. "Those All Star are not the right thing to have on your feet once we get there." James chuckled.

"Maybe if you tell me where we are going, I could think of something more appropriate." She shot a little annoyed.

"That would ruin the surprise." James pulled her to him, entrapping her with his arms around her waist. "Don't give me that look." He said when she rolled her eyes "You're gonna love it. I know you will, and I had so much work preparing all this, that I'm not saying a word until we get there, are we clear?" James rubbed his nose in hers sweetly and she just nodded, surrendered to his sweetness. "Now let's eat and then we have to take the dog to Lars'."

While they had breakfast, she noticed how he was a bit distant and bouncing his legs up and down. James looked a bit nervous, and anxious. He noticed how she was staring at him after shaking his thoughts away and smiled.

"What were you thinking?" She asked him.

He shook his head. "Nothing, just about our trip." He said, not wanting to reveal what he had to.

The truth about the investigation and how an important clue was discovered. He was thinking about a nice way to tell her, a way that wouldn't flip her out. Then he was nervous because he was going to propose, and this huge fear was taking care of him. He didn't fear her answer but that was probably the biggest question he would ever make to someone and the most important one.

"You look a bit nervous." She insisted. Rafaela could be so stubborn, but he loved her that way. James put his cup in the sink and went to her, placing a kiss on her forehead.

"I am great. Now, hurry up." He said.

While she locked all the windows, James took their bags to the trunk of his car, then Ozzie's stuff and finally, the dog himself.

"Stay quiet! Sit!" He ordered as Ozzie was pacing around on the backseat.

Then he saw Rafaela locking the front door and started the engine. It was time to go. James played the radio while driving, Aerosmith, a band that Rafaela also liked and they both sang along, while Ozzie barked on the backseat. James was visibly happy and in a good mood, and that showed in the hug he gave Lars when they got to his house, but somehow it seemed to Rafaela that it was more of a supporting hug. She couldn't explain why, but the way Lars looked at James, made her realize he knew about their destination and the purpose of this small getaway. It was alright, to spend time with him away from everything seemed just like the perfect idea to her.

"Well, we better leave. It's getting late." Lars said after finishing the conversation he was having with James on one corner of the living room. James seemed, again, a little nervous.

"Wait, you're going with us?" Rafaela asked confused.

"No, I'm just taking you guys and then I'll pick you up on Wednesday. James is leaving his truck parked here." She nodded, it made sense.