Carp

Cold cave walls, slimy and blackened. Any plant life was alien and sick. The water looked black it was so deep, and spiraled into nothing. And I knew the water was crystal clear. The air was crisp, but didn't bite. I stared into the water, not knowing what I was waiting for. Something appeared far below. A tiny pale shape, moving slowing around and growing larger. In seconds it had grow to the size of a small child, a dull, milky grey-white. It broke the surface and took a breath, twisting around in the small space, taking in the sight of me. The fish scared me somehow, it had power and knowledge I could feel tingling across my skin. I hadn't noticed them coming up, but a few smaller fish now swam around it, white-gold koi's who should not have been able to survive those conditions. I knelt at the waters edge, both to be closer to the power and to offer respect. I couldn't hear a voice, but I felt it's request. Silently I dipped my foot in the water, it wasn't as cold as I expected. I slipped all the way in, just my head bobbing the surface. It swam next to me, and I reverently touched it's head, letting it's whole length slide across my palm. I wanted me to follow. Being level with the water I saw the rocks I had assumed were walls, was actually just barely touching the water, hanging over us, and it lead to a tunnel ahead, showing the pool was wider than I originally thought. It was headed for the gap, I took a breath and dived to follow.