Entrenched

The sweet cedar rafters glowed with the streams of sunlight that shown through the slits. The walls had spaces just big enough to see outside well, and for a small breeze to push through. It was clean and cold, and filled me with a renewed energy of anticipation. Little groups had been formed, people chatting quietly but excited, with grins and fidgety hands. I stood at the end of the room, breathing deeply and looking over the people so like me. A family. And at the opposite side, staring silently out of the slits in the walls, like me, was our leader. He didn't like being singled out and being thought of as any better than the rest of us, but despite that, he led us well. He was a man of little words, and short advice, but he was always quick to lend an extra hand, give a beaming smile, and wrap you in a hug if needed. He was kind, and caring, and he would bleed himself dry for a stranger who deserved it. So he lead us. Because no one else could do it so selflessly. My cheeks burned as I realized I had been staring at him, and I turned away, even though he had his back to me. It seemed these days he didn't care much for himself.
Today he wore a hoodie and a bandana around his face, hiding from the world. I knew he would smile for anyone, but I wished he could smile on his own. He loved so deeply and truly, but not for himself. He turned and his brown eyes met mine for only a moment. I smiled, and I wish I could have seen him smile back.