thud.

"Come on, already!"

She shooed me with her hand, not looking towards me. "It'll take two minutes, I need these things." I sighed impatiently but followed her as she unlocked the front door to the dark house and stepped inside. She hastened into the next room, leaving me standing alone in the messy living room, trying to imagine her having a life here. I couldn't see it. At least, I couldn't see her living a happy life. A dull thud came from upstairs, making me jump. My eyes darted to the black staircase, the innate fear of what dwells in the darkness filling me, despite my knowing I was safe. She appeared back in the room, an open backpack in her hand, snatching up items and stuffing them in. "Is...is he up there?" I pointed to the ceiling. She didn't stop, only answered shortly "Yep." Without looking up from her task. I didn't implore further. I shuffled in place as she busied herself in gathering things. I watched her quickly go up the stairs, disappearing into the darkness with a fearlessness I would have never mustered. The it was silent for a few seconds, until I heard her open a door, and walk through the room right above me. Another deep thud came from the back of the second floor. I felt my heart rate quicken despite myself. I heard her close the door above me, and move to the end of the house, where the noise was coming from. I listened very closely, holding my breath. I knew I shouldn't fear. There wasn't anything to fear. But I did just the same. THUD-slide-THUD-slide. The sound was confusing. I tried to not jump with each thud, though I clutched the hem of my shirt and my eyes were wild. Her steps came back, and she appeared coming down the stairs. Unharmed, unfazed, with a bulging zipped up backpack slung over her shoulder and a skateboard under one arm. "Is he..?" She put up a hand to stop me, "You don't want to see him. Trust me." I knew my face wasn't calm, but she didn't acknowledge it. "One more thing, then we can go." She said as she disappeared again into the back. I started pacing, then I heard it again. *THUD-thud-slide-THUD-thud-slide* it got louder, and closer, until a white arm reached out from the darkness of the staircase. *Thud* as the palm hit a stair, gripping the edge and *slide* as it pulled a body with it *THUD* as the body went down another stair. Unearthly fear gripped me and I took a step back, strangled breath and primal instincts urging me to run and scream. Long, thin, white limbs were twisted unnaturally around the bare torso and lean face, dragging itself down the stairs slowly. He had only one leg, but his venomous face made it clear he didn't need a second, as he didn't try to stand. He almost slithered, using the one leg to push and his arms to pull. He made it to the ground and looked my way, and a scream built in my chest. Then, she appeared again, and when she saw my terrified face, she followed my eyes, and her face hardened at the sight of her brother. I turned and left, right out the door, keeping myself from screaming and running. I shut it behind me and threw my back against the wall next to it. The night air helped me feel less trapped. I knew I had nothing to fear. He couldn't actually hurt me. He was just a sick and unfortunate boy. He couldn't do anything to me. But my mind would not accept it. The crippled body was more than my mind could handle. I slowed my breathing and put my hands over my face. He couldn't hurt me.