Jenny swoons at his words.

"Really?" I say, beginning to smirk. "Actually, Jenny wasn't able to curl my hair. It will take about another hour."

Mother tries to suppress a laugh and Damien grins.

"If you wish, but..." he begins, slowly approaching me. "Would you rather spend an hour getting your hair curled or an hour eating food with me?"

Well, he got me there.

"Well played, Clarke," I say, amused.

"Don't underestimate me."

He then winks at me, making me roll my eyes, before he turns to mother.

"I'll have her back by ten, Joanna," he promises.

"I'll be waiting," she replies. "Now go. Enjoy your evening, you two."

"Thank you," he says.

Jenny hands me my coat, which I put on. Damien then holds my hand and, together, we leave my house. When we approach his car, he opens the door for me.

"Thank you," I say, slipping inside.

He shuts the door and goes to the other side of his car. When he enters and starts the car, he puts the radio on at a low volume.

"You look beautiful," he says.

"Did I not look beautiful before?" I say, pretending to be offended.

His eyes widen in horror.

"I didn't mean that," he says quickly, making me burst into laughter.

"Relax, Damien! I'm just teasing," I say.

He sighs in relief before he begins to drive.

"Wow, you're really nervous, aren't you?" I say.

"Well it's not everyday that I get to go on a date with you. I need this to be perfect."

"Don't worry. I'm sure that whatever you've planned for us this evening will be great."

"Even if it's a takeaway from McDonald's?" he asks jokingly.

"Of course. I actually like their Happy Meal," I say.

He faces me, looking at me as if I've just grown a second head.

"Sometimes, I have to remind myself that you are actually quite easy to please," he says, to which I smile.

"Well, I did have a humble upbringing," I begin to explain. "Plus, St. Anne's is quite particular in instilling gratitude in all of its students, even at the smallest of things, like possessing the simplest of clothes, eating the plainest of foods, or having a roof over our heads, even if the roof is not completely impervious to rainwater."

"I respect you," he says, glancing at me. "You're not materialistic and you take pleasure in the littlest of things. It's rare to come across someone like that. In many people, money replaces love with greed, and that can really leave one with trust issues."