36

**SURPRISE SURPRISE**

"You taught me how to love, but how do I stop loving you...?"
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

January 1998

"And why should I apologise?!" Rachel snaps.

It's lunchtime. Jenny, Rachel and I are in the classroom where we used to have our club meetings.

My tutee called in sick, so Jenny and I decided to meet with Rachel to clear up the hostility between her and Nolan. The two of them are not on speaking terms, and Nolan has not been taking the rehearsals seriously to get back at Rachel. We need to make sure that they reconcile as soon as possible or else all our efforts will be for nothing.

"He called me ugly and boring. He should apologise to me," Rachel continues, crossing her arms.

"Well, you did call his party an STD exchange first," Jenny reminds her.

"I was stating a fact," she grumbles.

"Look, Rachel," I say. "Nolan is not taking his role as a pianist seriously. When Jenny gave him his music sheet, he told her to leave it in the trash. He wants to ruin our play."

"We can kick him out," she suggests.

Jenny shakes her head, sighing.

"We only have one pianist, Rachel, and that's Nolan," Jenny says.

Rachel taps her feet, pursing her lips in ponder.

"So, what you are saying is..." she begins slowly. "I should apologise to that thing first because I need him and if I do not apologise, he will obliterate my hard work?"

Our hard work.

But oh well.

"Exactly," Jenny says, nodding.

Rachel takes off her black-rimmed glasses and rubs her temples.

"Fine. I will apologise to that wretched excuse of a man."

Jenny and I sigh in relief.

On cue, Nolan enters the classroom, just when Rachel puts her glasses back on.

Perfect timing!

"Yo girls! I'm here. What do you wanna talk to me about?" he greets.

When his hazel eyes land on Rachel, his mood sullens.

"What is she doing here?" he hisses.

"Rachel is here to apologise," Jenny says, nudging Rachel to move forward.

Sighing, Rachel nears Nolan. The two stare at each other, with Nolan having his arms crossed and Rachel narrowing her eyes.

"I am... sorry," she mumbles lowly.

"What's that? I didn't hear you," he says.

"Oh, I did not know that you are deaf!" she snaps.

Nolan clenches his jaw, not happy with her outburst. Rachel, realising what she has just said, clears her throat.

"I mean," she continues, loud and clear. "I am... Oh gosh, I think I am going to be sick..."

I facepalm.

"I... am... sorry," she finally says, heaving at every syllable.

"For?" Nolan says, gaining pleasure from her visible annoyance.