28

"I miss our drunken kisses..."
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

January 1998

My trembling hands rest on the edge of one of the sinks. I stare at my reflection, trying to calm myself down. I can't let anyone see me vulnerable. I have to be strong.

Deep breaths, Dorothy. Deep breaths.

I don't understand. How on earth did Luna get the photo? Would she actually leak it on purpose?

No... I won't risk it. Luna's unhealthy obsession with Reece can make her do anything, whether moral or immoral. Just when I thought I could leave the incident in the past permanently, it comes back like a slap to my face.

After regaining composure, I head back to the table, where everyone is oblivious to Luna's wickedness.

"And when's the party?" Jenny asks Nolan, as I sit down between Reece and Damien.

"Next Friday," he replies. "I wanted to make the guest list exclusive, but Damien here betrayed me by inviting all the losers from the club."

"It was the only way that we could get members," Jenny says.

"Yeah man. I saved the club," Damien says.

"At the expense of my party's awesomeness."

I start to eat the little sandwiches, before proceeding to the mini-pizzas. I try to eat as much as I can, to act as normal as I can. But with each bite, I feel closer to puking.

"Dorothy," Reece whispers to me.

I face him.

"What?"

"Are you alright? You look like you saw a ghost..."

"I... I actually don't feel too well," I say honestly.

The amount of stress I'm feeling right now makes me feel dizzy and nauseous.

He places his hand over my forehead, taking me by surprise. At his touch, my heart begins to pound against my chest. 

"Your forehead is quite warm," he says. "You have a fever, Dorothy."

I notice that Luna is watching us disapprovingly, so I immediately pull myself away from his hand.

"I'll be fine," I say quickly.

At this point, everyone around the table is paying attention to us.

"What's wrong?" Damien asks.

"Nothing, I just have a little bit of fever–"

"You're burning up," Reece corrects me before he stands up. "I'll take you home. Come on."

Feeling Luna's burning glare, I shake my head at him.

"No need–"

"I don't want to hear it, Dorothy. Let's go," he orders, adamant and concerned.

"I don't want to bother you."

He frowns, finding what I just said a bit absurd.

Of course, it is absurd. I know it is.

"You live right next door to me, remember?" he says.

Of course I do. But I can't go with him. My reputation, dignity and mental wellbeing are on the line.