13

"...For even the stars envy the twinkle in her eyes."
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

November 1997

Clammy hands. Pounding heart. Wide eyes. 

Me?

Singing?

In front of everyone?

Alone?

I instantly pale.

"Leo!" Harris whispers, pulling him by the arm. "You can't just say that she can sing without asking her!"

"Actually,"  Luna adds, looking at the impatient manager and standing up. "She's a great singer and I know that she will sing."

Then, the twins grab onto my arms and pull me up so that I can stand between them. Much to their dismay, I'm too stunned to respond. But the manager took their word without making sure that I was even ok with doing it.

"Good," the manager says, nodding his head.

He takes out a handkerchief from his pocket and wipes away the glisten from his forehead.

"The performance will begin in fifteen minutes," he continues. "I will announce the delay and treat the audience to free lemonade."

When he walks away, I look at the twins in disbelief.

"Guys, I can't just sing in front of the... I-I can't!" I squeak.

If I were singing in a massive group, like the choir I had back at St. Anne's, I would not have felt so much nervousness right now. But alas, I will be singing alone. Luna's large, piercing blue eyes look at my own and her hands grab onto mine.

"Dorothy, we heard you sing. You are really, really good," she says.

"You can't just make her sing in front of everyone, Luna," Harris repeats.

"This is supposed to be Jenny's big night," she snaps, looking at him. "Jenny needs her."

"Luna, I appreciate the effort, but I agree with Harris," Jenny finally speaks, standing up from the floor and looking at me sympathetically. "You can't just make Dorothy sing in front of everyone for me."

Her face is tinged with pink, her eyes bloodshot. Gosh, she really is distraught. If me singing in front of everyone would make her smile, then... then I'll do it. There is a moment of silence during which I think about my situation. The twins are looking at me pleadingly, with Leo pouting and batting his eyelashes and Luna clasping her hands together, desperate.

Taking a deep breath, I finally make my decision.

"No... I... I'll do it," I say to them, clearing my throat.

Harris and Jenny's eyes widen while the twins suddenly learn to breathe again and jump in excitement, high-fiving each other.

"Yes!" they exclaim simultaneously.

"I knew my puppy dog face would work!" Leo then adds.

"Oh please. She would have agreed a lot quicker if it weren't for your –"

"Guys, we can talk about this later. We're already late. Get ready ASAP," Harris interrupts the twins' banter.

Honestly, the only reason why I decided to do this is because I actually love Jenny and I do not want her to be sad. If me singing in front of a large... judging... crowd would make her happy, then I'm more than happy to do so.