37

"When I saw you the first time, I thought, 'I'm going to marry her someday'..."
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

January 1998

"Now, I've cooked enough dishes to last you five days," mother says, dragging her piece of luggage down the stairs.

"But you will only be gone for only two days," I say, standing at the bottom of the stairs and carrying a plate with a cheese sandwich sitting on it.

"Well, in the unlikely case of us missing our return flight, you will not starve."

"Oh ok."

It is about 5pm. Mother and Linda are about to leave for the airport. The taxi is outside, waiting. When mother reaches the bottom of the stairs, she rests her hands on my shoulders. Her bright green eyes examine my face affectionately.

"You and Reece have to take care of each other," she says.

At the mention of Reece, a familiar ache in my chest emerges.

"We will," I say, clearing my throat.

"Good," she says. "Oh! And keep the doors locked always. Our spare key is with Reece, and you have the spare key for Reece's house. Look after the keys, ok?"

"Yes, yes."

She lets my shoulders go and begins to rummage through her purse to check if she has everything that she will be needing; passport, ticket, money etc.. Once she is convinced that she is now officially ready to leave, she looks up at me.

"Be good," she says, before she pecks my cheek.

Just when she grabs onto the handle of her luggage and turns around, I gently hold onto her arm, stopping her. Mother faces me, furrowing her eyebrows.

One of the many things that Sister Alexa has taught me, is that when the time of farewell arrives, it is best to say the words that you would want to say if it were the last time you would be seeing them. This is so that if, God forbid, anything bad were to happen to them, at least you would not be suffering from the regret of not saying what you really wanted to say them.

Ever since mother brought me back to London, she has been nothing but patient, understanding, supportive and caring. She has respected my privacy, space and views. Even when at times she would visibly express her disapproval, she has never intervened in my affairs.

I am truly grateful for that.

"I know that we didn't have the ideal reunion," I begin, capturing her full and undivided attention. "But whatever happened in the past... It wasn't your fault. I may not show it, but I am actually grateful that you didn't forget me, that you brought me back here..."

Her expression morphs to one of shock. Her eyes, which were twinkling in excitement just a minute ago, are now becoming bloodshot. In an instant, she envelops me with her arms. I return her hug, closing my eyes.

"I am so glad," she whispers into my ear. "I was afraid that I've lost my daughter's affection forever, that I meant nothing to you..."

"No. You are important to me," I say.

She pecks the top of my head before we let go of each other.

"Now I don't feel like going," she says, wiping her eyes as she smiles widely at me.

"You have to," I say, laughing lightly. "Linda is waiting for you outside."

She nods.

"I'll miss you," I add.