53

*SURPRISE SURPRISE*

"Love me in the places where I find it hardest to love..."
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

February 1998

"Goodnight, Dave," Reece says, before he jogs away.

Dave, sighing, trudges back to his car and slips inside.

When Reece and I were walking back to St. Anne's after visiting Bonnie, I noticed a very familiar car blinking its headlights at us – or more specifically, at Reece. I knew instantly that it belongs to Dave, because it was in this car that Dave brought the drunk Reece home the same night I had my date with Damien. When Reece informed me that he was going out for a jog, I had a hunch that he was going to meet Dave. So, when he left, I followed him, making sure that I was far enough for him not to see me, inconspicuous. Lucky for me, the two met where trees surrounded them, allowing me to hide behind a tree and listen to their vague conversation.

When Dave drives away, I slide down onto the ground, with my back resting against the trunk of a tree, with a million questions running through my mind.

What the heck is going on? What did Reece mean by saying that he has a few months to experience normalcy? What on earth is he doing that is forcing his grandfather to pry into his affairs? And who the heck is Chris?

Well, whatever it is that he is doing, it does not sound good.

Ugh, why can't Reece just tell me?

She's not ready. She'll freak out.

Does he not understand that I will not leave his side, no matter what? Gosh, what do I have to do to prove to him that I am ready? That I will support him? That I am willing to go against the entire world for him?

I get up and slowly make my way back to get ready for the bonfire, continuing to think about their conversation in the hopes of decoding it – but alas, it is to no avail.

***

Live music is played as many of the locals dance around the massive bonfire. Reece and I sit on one of the thick logs that surround the cackling fire while Sister Alexa, along with the other nuns, is distributing drinks. A middle-aged farmer approaches us and offers Reece a can of beer and a box of cigarettes.

"I'm good, thanks," Reece replies.

"You sure, boy?"

"Yes."

When the farmer leaves, I face Reece, who is wearing a dark blue, long-sleeved button-up shirt and black jeans.

"How come you didn't accept the beer and cigarettes?" I ask.

"I quit drinking and smoking," he replies, shrugging.

"What?" I gasp. "Since when?"

"Since I found a better form of drug."

"Huh?"

"We should dance," he says, standing up.

"Wait a minute, what do you mean by–"

It's too late. He holds my hands, pulls me up and drags me towards the dancing crowd. He rests his one hand on my lower back and he holds my right hand up with his other hand, staring deeply into my eyes. We then move slowly to the rhythm of the music, which now morphs into a mellow tune. We continue to watch each other in silence, until I decide to break it.