44

**SURPRISE SURPRISE**

"Your eyes hold secrets that I wish to unravel..."
Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

January 1998

"Honey, you got this. Take a deep breath in," mother says, placing her hand on my back. "You did your ultimate best. Now, make a small prayer, slip it in and then hope for the best."

I stare at the daunting red postbox in front of us as I take a deep breath in, clutching onto a large envelop which contains the documents that will decide my future.

"There were no grammatical mistakes, right?" I ask, facing mother.

"I checked three times, dear," she says. "Your personal statement is riveting! Your transcripts are flawless!."

"Or maybe I'm just stupid to apply to such a prestigious university," I whisper, looking at the concrete ground, slumping.

She rests her hands on my shoulder.

"Nonsense! Dorothy," she begins, making me face her. "You have been working extremely hard and, remember, hard work never goes to waste. You have done so well. It would be ridiculous if Imperial rejects you!"

"Really?" I say, raising my eyebrows.

"Of course! I am very proud of you."

Smiling, I hug her. She returns it. When we let go, I slip the thick envelope into the postbox. The moment it disappears through the slot, it suddenly feels as if a huge load got off my chest, enabling me to breathe again.

"How are you feeling?" she asks, resting her hand on my back.

"Relieved that it's finally over!" I exclaim.

"Yay!" she exclaims back, mirroring my reaction. "To celebrate, let's go have dinner somewhere."

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" I squeal, jumping up and down.

Mother laughs at my excitement. I then lock my arm with hers and rest my head on her shoulder as we make our way back to our house.

"Thanks for being there for me, mum," I find myself saying.

With her smile growing and eyes becoming watery, she untangles her arm from mine, drapes it across my shoulders and pulls me closer to her.

"I'll always be there for you, my sweet, little Dorothy," she whispers, kissing me on the side of my forehead.

***

Sitting at my study table, I huff in frustration as I read the same sentence in my Biology textbook for the sixth time. The digital clock on the table reads 21:34. I slam the book shut and rub my temples, annoyed at my lack of productivity.

Oh gosh...

This is very inconvenient.

I can't stop thinking about him.

About Reece.

I wonder where he is right now, what he is doing, how he is.

Groaning, I get up and flop onto my bed, where Lukey Wukey is sitting. I look at him, pouting.

"Why can't I stop thinking about him?" I mumble at my ursine friend.

I love you. More than anything or anyone...