A Feel For The Colors

To say that I wasn't nervous about going to a high school on the beach would be an understatement. Imagine all the preppy, beach-y, and slutty girls walking the halls brought back memories from New York. But then again, in New York they walked around in expensive brand name clothes... here, they show skin in every way possible.

I pulled on the jeans that Astley had grabbed from my dad's house the day before and grabbed the bookbag that I'd brought with me from NYC and headed downstairs where I could hear breakfast being served. Astley's throat had healed completely overnight, but I kept pestering him to not talk too often, worried that something will happen. 

Nicole had disappeared as soon as she heard word that the Beta was killed. Andy and Jared followed her scent passed our lines as far as they could, but learning that it led straight into no man's land, they turned back.

"Did Astley give you the extra notebook and loose leaf paper? What about the pencils?" Mrs. Huntsman ushered across the big kitchen and set a plate of pancakes in front of me.

"Yeah," I smiled, "Where is he?"

She licked her finger from the dripping maple syrup, "I'm not sure. He went out back," She looked through the back window, "Maybe he's in his car."

"Already?" I leaned on the counter to look through the window. There was a huge garage where dozens of vehicles old and new lined in next to each other, but there was no Astley.

Astley? I reached for him through our blurry bond. We haven't completed the mating process yet, hence the vague bond. I sighed again and a small wave of guilt went through me. I wonder how much I've hurt him when I rejected him. My virginity is not something I can just give away.

Rejection hurts. I should be the one who understands that more than the both of us. 

I took my seat at the table and took my first bite as a knock rang through the huge house. "I'll get it. You finish eating, darling," Mrs. Huntsman smiled my way and walked out. 

"Are you gonna eat that?" I turned around and faced a little boy around eight.

"My pancakes?"

He nodded sleepily, "Yeah. The guys wake up super early and they already ate and I don't think there's any left," he looked hungrily at my plate.

I tried to not laugh at his cute face, "Sure. I'm not hungry anymore."

His sleepy face lit up, "I can?" He narrowed his left eye as if suspecting something.

A shadow jumped out at us, "You better eat it before I eat it."

I jumped, "Astley," I breathed, "Don't scare us like that."

He smiled crookedly, "Sorry, darling. You need to start eating more."

"I'm not really hungry," I protested as the boy gobbled the breakfast as fast as he can. Werewolf boys, I thought.

Voices floated from the hallway as Astley's mom returned.

"Wylie, your father's here."

I stood up from my chair. Astley caught my chair before it could fall over. I could sense his amusement at my action.

He walked in from behind Mrs. Huntsman.

"Dad," I breathed and ran to him.

He laughed as he returned my hug, "I just wanted to say good morning and good luck today."

I laughed at that, "I'm 18, dad."

"Still my baby girl," he replied.

Tears pricked at the edges of my vision and I swallowed it back down, " Thanks dad." I pulled away and looked at him.