A Step Towards Reality

I opened my eyes and the sun's rays burned into them. I was lying in my pink bed. How did I get here?

I took a fresh clean towel out of one of the three drawers and went to take a hot soothing shower.

After the long shower, I wiped the fogged bathroom glass with my wet shaking hand and tried to rehearse what I'm going to have to explain to dad and Astley. Worry clutched in my stomach and I took a deep breath.

A guitar played downstairs and the smell of breakfast made my stomach rumble loudly, reminding me that the last time I had eaten was a McDonalds with mom on the way here yesterday. Walking out of the hallway, I tiptoed down the stairs, the wood of the stairs creaked with my steps.

Dad was cooking something on the stove and the guy was playing the guitar. He looked up and smiled, "Good morning."

His greeting attracted my dad's attention, and he turned around to face me, "Good morning, Wylie."

I smiled at the boy and dad, "Hi, may I help?" I asked, trying to avoid any questions about what may have happened last night and went further into the kitchen. I took out a plate for the bacon still in the pan, "Do you want me to do the eggs?"

"You sure?" He took the handle of the pan and tilted it to the side, letting the bacon slide into the plate I was holding. He'd already drained the oil out.

"He's Noah, Astley's brother," he took the eggs out of the refrigerator as I got out another pan for the eggs, "The oil's here," he pointed to the glass bottle of oil next to the stove.

"It's okay, Wylie." He hugged me tight, " I'm always here for you, and you don't have to hide. You can talk to me about anything."

I swallowed a sob in my throat and hugged him back, "Thank you," it came out gurgled, "I want you to know that I'm really happy to be here. Mom wouldn't have said that to me."

I went back to the kitchen and looked through the cabinets for four plates and forks. After bringing them to the breakfast table, I went back to the kitchen and also grabbed four glasses and the orange juice.

"Come one, boys," my dad said, "Let's eat," he looked at me, "The eggs smell good," he added, and I smiled, "I tried."

Noah took the seat next to me, leaving the seat across from me to Adric. Everyone took their share of eggs, and bacon.

"You like it? Astley, you should teach her!" Noah tuned in, nudging him. Astley smiled, and looked at me, "I'm not sure if she wants me to."

My dad looked at me, "Do you, Wylie? We can grab you a guitar after lunch, I'm just going to be at the cafe." He looked encouraged to do so. Maybe my lack of social life was really showing, so I nodded determined to try something new, "Sure, if you guys aren't busy."

"Oh no, that won't be neccessary, I'll still have more customers in my line," he laughed.

"I can go by myself, that's okay," I said hurriedly.

"It's okay, I'll go with you after breakfast. I know the best guitar brands," Astley stood up, done with his plate.

I eyed my own plate, still full, "Um, do you mind waiting? I still-"

I nodded, understanding, "Thank you."

Dad and Noah also pushed their plates away, empty. I took my fork and shoved a piece of bacon in my mouth.

After a bacon and half an egg, I pushed my plate away, no longer hungry. Throwing away the remaining of my breakfast in the trash, I washed the dirty plates in the sink.