Chapter 18 - Note

Dear Neymar,

Congratulations. It was the maid in the master bedroom with a knife.

I'll try to answer all the questions you have on this one tiny page, but by the time you finish reading this I'm long gone. Not Madrid, not Europe, anywhere but here.

So, yes, Gerard.

I'm eternally sorry... Although you probably won't believe me because if I was this sorry, I wouldn't have kept it going.

Obviously you weren't supposed to find out. No one is, so I'd be thankful for your silence. Shakira can never know.

How could I do this to Shakira? I don't have a heart of gold, Neymar. In fact I never did so I don't know why anyone would fall for me, especially someone like you. I've said it countless times, you wasted your time and I don't deserve you.

It all happened fairly quickly and I only kept it going because that's what I'm good at. The only thing I'm good at. I'm not set to be a housewife or a mother, nothing like that.

Gerard didn't mean anything. It was sex, it was lust.

You on the other hand...

I know you won't believe a word that comes out of my mouth, but I know- I know what you mean to me.

Would asking for some affection be too much? I could've made it up to you. Afterall, you said it yourself, we keep secrets to spare the feelings of others.

But just because in a senseless moment I took advantage of you, doesn't mean I deserve a shit life.

Goodbye, Neymar.

Please remember the good.

Sincerely, Mariana.