Chapter 17 - Refusal

I shut the door as quietly as I opened it and left.

I left the party without saying a word and I drove. I drove as fast as I could and all the way to the beach. All I did was stomp on and kick the sand as I let out multiple yells in frustration.

I had to get out of there as soon as possible and on my way here I got to wrap my pretty little head around that precious secret of hers. It was tragic, like she kept hinting towards. I had a feeling there was someone else, but not that this someone else was Gerard out of all people. I dismissed Sergi because he felt pitiful for what he had done, Rafinha was there, but Gerard?

I sat on the sand and looked at the water. How I wish I could just drown this all away. It only hurts cause of whom it turned out to be.

Mariana's POV

Gerard and I parted ways after our little rendezvous upstairs and I went straight to my room.

"They're going to be taking some photos downstairs," Gerard said as he popped his head in.

"Okay," I say. "Fix your hair."

I began to fix my own in the bathroom and I went to check my phone. No messages, but one. Camila simply asked why I told Neymar I wanted her to move to Madrid with her. I had forgotten whom I told Neymar I was talking to Madrid about, since I didn't want to tell him it was an ex of mine. I didn't think he'd ask.

I went back down to the party and ran into Leo.

"Leo," I grabbed his arm. "Have you seen Neymar?"

"Last I saw, he was going upstairs."

No sign of him up there. I thanked Leo and made my way to the kitchen where I began talking to Camila.

"Why would he ask you that?" I scoffed.

"He was trying to make conversation," she spoke softly.

"Well, fuck, Camila," I said and felt bad after. "Thanks for trying," I lied.

"What is it with you?" She asked. "He clearly loves you and you're using him, stomping all over him. You may think you feel the same way back, but you clearly don't, you just wish you were capable of feeling at all."

I took the final sip of the beer she had handed me when I arrived by her side and slammed it on the counter.

"Did I fucking ask?"

I left the kitchen right after that and went out back as everyone in the yard began going back inside to take photos.

"You alright?" Sergi asked as he stood up from his seat by the pool.

"How cold am I?" I asked.

"Cold?" He questioned.

"Have you seen Neymar?" I blurt out.

"Not lately," he says.

"I'm sorry," I say. "Sorry about having sex with you-"

"My fault," he clarifies.

"No," I start as I begin heading back into the house. "It really isn't."

By the time I finish checking around the whole house and Neymar doesn't answer my texts or calls, I decide that he went home so I steal Gerard's car keys and make my way to Neymar's place.

I knock endlessly on the door and get no answer. I'm left sat on his front steps for two hours until he drives up into his driveway and slams his car door as he spots me.

Neymar's POV

"Where have you been?" She stands up. "I've been here for two fucking hours-"

"I suggest you just leave," I say sternly as I open my front door and try to slam it on her, but she pushes, she always pushes.

"What is your problem?" She asks as she makes her way into my home.

"Mariana," I say. "Leave. I'm not in the mood."

She says nothing. Her face goes white and she just steps back a little.

"That was you!" She exclaims. "I thought I heard someone come in! You! You saw us..."

I look at her. Just look as her expression goes from one of revelation to one of remorse.

"Shit. Neymar-"

"How could you do that? Not just to me, to everyone involved in this?"

"So you saw Gerard and I-"

"Yes!" I yell. "Yes I fucking saw you two! Answer me! How could you even do this to Shakira?"

"You won't understand-"

"Try me."

"No," she crosses her arms. "There's no way to explain myself-"

"Is this why you never wanted to be in a relationship with me? Because you were fucking Gerard on the side?"

"Because I'm a terrible person."

"Oh, don't fucking go there. Don't belittle yourself so I could feel for you. You are a terrible person!"

"Because you're so fucking holy? I don't need this from you-"

"Then leave! I don't need this shit in my life, you were right, you were a waste of time-"

"Do you love me?"

"You know what? I used to think I did," that physically hurt to say. "Let's go back to the baby shower and tell Shakira-"

"No! She's never going to find out about this-"

"I'll tell her if you and Gerard don't! How fucking dare you guys!"

"You shouldn't get mixed up in this! Neymar, please," she slowed down and looked at me pleadingly.

"You can't really start a relationship with a lie," I tell her.

"Let me make it up to you."

I grab her by the arm and begin to push her towards the front door.

"Neymar," she almost cries. "Neymar, I am so sorry, please."

I push her out the door and look at her intently, for the last time I hope.

"If you don't tell Shakira, I will. Now, I never want to hear from you again, have a nice life."

I slam the door on her face, her face full of tears, but the fact that she expects me to forgive her that easily. It's not even about her and Gerard, it's about her lies. She warned me, it's all partly my fault, but what she did was terrible.