Chapter 13 - International Friendly

Mariana and I are on speaking terms now.

It's been a couple of weeks since Gerard's birthday, now it's international break, and my feelings for her haven't changed. Regardless of what she said. 

So here I am, reserving a seat for her on an airplane to Brazil and a seat for her at the stadium where I'll be playing my next game with my national team, in hopes to spend some more time with her and turn this all around.

I open my front door for Mariana and greet her before I welcome her in.

"What's this big surprise you dragged me out of bed for?" She asks as she sits on my kitchen counter.

"What are you doing this weekend?"

"Staying in and listening to my iPod in it's ten thousand song entirety, how come?"

"It's international break," I point out.

"Yes," she says. "I am aware, Gerard was going on about his Spain match and how I should go."

"Well, too bad, tell him you're busy with the Brazil match."

A smile comes across her face.

"Brazil match?" She asks already knowing the answer.

"You're invited," I give her a smirk.

"Give me a time and place and I'll go iron my Oscar jersey and I'll see you there."

After thanking me profusely for the tickets to Brazil and the match, we spent the rest of the day watching movies at my place until she fell asleep in my arms and I set her up on the couch. I woke her up in time to get her to pack her things and get to the airport on time before I had to board my own flight.

"Neymar!" David yells out for me as he gets up from his seat at the gate. "Dani!"

We rush over to him and give him a great big hug as we gather our stuff and head out of the airport. Our flights happened to be around the same time so now we had to head to another terminal to pick up Oscar and Willian.

An hour later, after we got settled into our hotel rooms, we found ourselves training as hard as Dunga can make us and getting yelled at by him as we begin messing around and laughing a bit too much.

"Neymar!" Dunga calls out for me.

I turn and spot Mariana standing by him, shades on her face and her heels digging into the pitch as she stands by Dunga, arms crossed, awaiting me.

"Hey, love," I said as I approached her.

"Two minutes," Dunga says sternly.

"Don't worry," Mari says out of earshot.

"Hey," I smile. "What are you doing here?"

"Just came by to let you know I'm all settled in my hotel room," she smiled. "And maybe I might get to meet you there later," she smiled.

I was speechless for a second.

"Uh-"

"You better get back to practice," she said. "I'll see you after the match, good luck."

With that she left a kiss on my cheek and she left the training grounds. I stood there for a bit not comprehending what had just happened until Dunga pulled me out of my trance and sent me back out onto the pitch.

"Neymar's got a girl," David mocked me as I got back to my group.

"You and Mariana?" Dani asked. "I never would've guessed."

"Why not?" I ask. "And she's not my girl, yet."

"One of Shakira's friends," Dani informs the rest of the guys around us. "I thought she had a thing with Rafinha."

"What?" I let out a chuckle.

"From what he told me," Dani added.

The match was starting hours later and I found myself looking for Mariana in the crowd right before the referee blew his whistle to start the match.

Ninety-five minutes later, give or take, and I was trying to rush to the locker room so I could get back to the hotel as quickly as I possibly could. I say goodbye to my teammates and skip on the shuttle ride with them back to the hotel we shared. I was set to spend the morning with them tomorrow and the rest of the day was dedicated to my family, tonight was for Mariana, the mystery that is Mariana.

I take a quick shower in my room before heading out to Mariana's room.

When I'm standing right outside the room a couple of doors down from mine, I knock three times before she opens up and flashes me a smile.

"Great game," she says. "Was that hat trick meant to impress me?"

"I don't know," I start. "Did it?"

Mariana grabs my hand and pulls me into her room right after.

"I hadn't realized I missed Brazil this much," she says as she shuts the door and lets go of my hand.

"Yeah?" I inquired. "What'd the tourist do all day?"

"Walked up and down along the town, beach, and pool," she said as she inched towards me. "That's it. Just wanted to thank you again for the match and the amazing trip."

"How were you thinking of thanking me?" I quipped.

"Yes," she smiled. "Finally flirting with me again."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Anything," she spoke as she put her arms around me.

"Did you have a thing with Rafinha?"

She let out a chuckle and unwrapped her arms.

"We flirted a bit."

"That's it?"

"I swear," she said.

"Now," I said. "Do you want to be my girlfriend?"

"No," she pressed her lips on one another.

"Once more with feeling," I spoke.

"Do I apologize?" She asked.

"Why? Just tell me, why?"

"Because I have secrets that will ruin this relationship you want... that I hope you never find out about."

Secrets. I know, everyone has secrets, but if her secrets are big enough to ruin a relationship, do I even want to know?

"So, what am I to you?"

"This really great guy whom I don't deserve and I like too much for my own good."

"No matter how long this is going to last," I say. "I want to be with you until you're over the drama ruining your life."

"I can't promise anything," she spoke.

I leaned in to kiss her and she finally kissed me back. I've been longing for this, but I can tell she still wants to keep her distance.

"Look," she spoke as she disconnected our lips. "I was just gonna sleep with you tonight and part ways-"

"Why are you telling me this?"

"But I like you too much," she spoke. "Do you think we can just lay down in bed and talk or just do nothing?"

"I'd like nothing more," I smiled at her as I took her hand in mine and guided her to the bed.