Chapter 14 - Surprise

"We have gathered you all here," Shakira starts. "Because Gerard and I have news that we wanted to share with our closest friends, now that our family finally knows."

I let out a chuckle as I look over to Mariana who pretends to gag after Shakira speaks. Most of the team and Shakira's friends are all gathered in her living room and I'm across the room from Mari as we await patiently for Shakira or Gerard to start speaking.

"Shakira," Gerard finally started. "Is pregnant."

I instantly looked back at the couple and found myself with a huge smile on my face.

"What?" I almost got up from my seat.

A roar of congratulations echoed throughout the whole living room from everyone in it, including myself, as everyone walked towards the lovely couple.

I was one of the last ones to stand up, the last one sitting down was Mariana.

She had been laughing the last time I looked over to her, now she was in awe and still sat on the couch.

As people congratulated Shakira and Gerard with a kiss and hug each or a hand shake, they began sitting back down, and when it was my turn to finally approach them, Mariana was just getting up, the last to react.

She gave Shakira the tightest hug out of anyone and some people gushed over them and then she gave Gerard a kiss on the cheek and a hug too.

I sat back where I was, between Leo and Dani and found myself looking over at Mariana again, who was everything but happy.

People began talking and asking questions and eventually we all moved out to the backyard to throw the barbecue we all came over for. As Mariana steps towards the sliding doors, I grab her hand and she turns to me.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"I'm gonna be a godmother," she smiled. "Or aunt, whatever she wants me to be to their new child."

"Why are you so sad? Or angry? I can't really tell-"

"I look mad? I-I didn't mean to, I was thinking about Milan, I can't wait till he has a little sister... or brother, I hope it's a girl."

Her face lit up and I guess she was in shock, she wasn't the only one. Even Shakira looked a bit out of her zone, but everyone in the house seemed to settle.

Mariana began clapping out of nowhere and almost jumped on me as she went to hug me.

"There's going to be a new baby!"

She left a kiss on my lips and I began smiling at her. Sure we weren't dating, as she reminded me endlessly, but it's been two months since Brazil and I like to think we're kind of together.

We headed out back for a minute after Mari went to look for Milan in order to bring him outside beforehand and we spoke to Shak and Gerard, asking how far along Shakira was and the girls began to gush over a baby shower with Camila who came over right after us.

"Congratulations," I smiled at Gerard after I gave him a hug.

"The whole thing is so... unexpected," he smiled back.

When Gerard and Xavi began grilling the food, Mariana took my hand and led me into the house, upstairs to her room.

"We," she began speaking between kisses. "Have this house all to ourselves."

"Technically," I correct her as I begin to kiss her neck.

"Technically, but we can be as loud as we want."

We got on her bed and we kept on kissing each other until I decided to ask her something.

"Am I serving as a distraction?"

"What?" Mariana asked as she propped herself onto her elbows. "Distraction to what?"

"You may fool everyone else," I say. "But not me."

"Ugh," she let out a grunt. "Fine."

I roll over onto my side and look up at her as she begins to explain herself.

"I'm just a bit mad because I'm jealous. I'm jealous that Shakira's having a baby and she has this perfect happy life, it's literally perfect-"

"Not everything's perfect-"

"Trust me, it is," she interrupts. "And if it isn't, it must be minor. I don't know I just want that perfect life, nice big house, great husband, no worries, and here I am, living sheepishly off of my ex-babysitter in Barcelona, making out with a crush of mine as if I'm fifteen again."

"Fifteen wasn't that long ago," I point out. "Meaning, you have time."

"Yeah," she said. "If I stopped fooling around with all these guys."

"Hopefully, I'm the only one."

She said nothing and looked over at me.

"Kiss me," she said.

I did as I was told and placed my hand on the back of her neck and pulled her into me quickly, trying to dismiss the fact that she didn't answer me, meaning I'm not the only one. Flashes of Mari talking to Rafinha, Mari sitting with Elias, Mari grabbing onto Mauro, Mari sitting next to Sergi today with Coral by his side, Mari making Leo laugh, Mari kissing Gerard on the cheek, Mari playfully touching Marc, Mari batting her eyes at our waiter, Mari and the step dad I gave a generic face to, and lastly Mari wiping off ice cream from my face and licking it off of her finger.

The girl is flirtatious, the girl is promiscuous.

I shouldn't be "wasting my time" on her, as she repeatedly tells me, day after day. I get it, there's someone else, she won't tell me whom or how many, but the fact that she tells me she likes me and won't put an end to everyone else just shows me that she's not even that committed.

I tried to wipe all this from my mind and I managed to quickly as Mariana made her way down my body to my pants. She began undressing me and I did the same back to her.

I got lost in her lustful eyes.