Chapter Forty-Seven

Start from the beginning

The Wang Corp. heir believed that someone from the outside, looking in, can help his sister get over it.

"I've never blamed her", DiDi told him back then, "I never even thought TO blame her."

"I know", he responded, "You would never think that of her, Di."

"But she continues to think it and I can't shake her out of it."

"I don't know, man. Although I do know that just seeing you triggers all her guilt."

"That's why I need your help. I need someone who loves her as much as I do, or maybe even more, who can make her see that she – we – were dealt a hard hand but none of it is her or our fault. That is what life is. Fate brings us pain when we try to go into a direction that is different from where we're meant to go."

Kido believed in that more strongly now than ever before.

And he always reminded Zi Wei of it.

"I know it isn't my fault, Hon", she told him now, "I know and understand that FINALLY! I think... that's what made me cry."

He nodded at her to go on.

"Reading the story told by Yue from your perspective brought home to me that you really truly believe I have no liability in what happened and...", she drew a deep breath, "... Hon, please know that it isn't your fault that I have had lingering doubts for years. Because you love me, because everyone loves me, I couldn't help but think that you are all just saying it wasn't my fault because of THAT – because you all love me. And, there is nothing wrong in that, if that were really true. It's just that..."

"I understand", he assured her, "I understand..."

"But when I read this from what Yue wrote", she took the phone and looked for a paragraph, "and I knew this was really what you felt, I realized how much time I have wasted in things that caused you pain and hurt indirectly on my behalf. It says here – Zhihao hates that he can't do anything about the guilt that is eating away at Chin. He doesn't know if it is enough that he loves her but he certainly hopes it.

He hopes that every time he tells her it isn't her fault, that she should stop thinking about it, or that it is out of her hands... Chin knows that it is him telling her that the fates saw it fit to take her away from another man because THEY are the ones meant to be together.

A proverbial knife cuts at him whenever she says she is to blame.

Her tears become his and her anguish becomes the same cries he would hear inside his head in the times he finds himself alone.

If he could kiss it all away, he would.

If he could love it all out of her, he would.

He only hopes she would allow him.

Because he knows and everyone else knows that she is very much a victim of the circumstances and not its perpetrator.

No one as innocent as her deserves to suffer. Everyone who was part of that fiasco deserves to move on and be happy, especially her... most especially her."

Kido felt a lump rise in his throat listening to that.

He would have to profusely thank Yue when they see each other next.

That eloquence is staggering.

"I've said it before and I would say it over and over again, what happened wasn't your fault. It never was", he told the woman beside him with as much conviction as he could muster.

"Seriously. Kido, why do you love me? I feel like I don't deserve you!"

That lifted the bubble of seriousness that had wrapped itself around them and made him laugh out loud.

"So... are you really crying because I love you so much? That seems to be the wrong reaction. I mean... shouldn't you be bursting with laughter?"

She punched him lightly but instead of feigning that it hurt, his brow only rose – teasing her about her tears, continuing to lighten the mood.

She punched his arm harder and he resorted to pulling at her hair.

"Ok. This is now making me think why I love YOU", Zi Wei scolded.

Kido, however, continued to be unfazed, and just gathered her closer. "I think it's because of my charm."

She let out an unladylike snort.

"I would like to repeat that I think it's my charm", he reiterated smugly, "So... before you fall harder for me, I have to say that what you just read sounded wonderful. How does the rest of the draft look?"

His fiancée shook her head at him before answering "Yue said there will still be revisions to it but I love it already."

"Of course, you love it! I'm the hero in that book."

Zi Wei immediately swatted his hand. "Really so full of yourself, huh!"

"Honestly, it's because of the woman I'm going to marry", Kido answered, "When you meet my soon-to-be wife you will most definitely understand why I have this much confidence."

She squinted her eyes at him. "Really now?"

He nodded. "Really. Really. You see, the woman I'm marrying is so beautiful and has about a hundred men chasing after her, but she chose me."

The woman looked at him, torn between wanting to chastise him and wanting to laugh at him and wanting to embrace him.

She settled for burrowing closer to him.

"Well... I think she chose you because you are charming."

Kido noted the playfulness in her eyes.

"I think so too", he acquiesced before kissing her.

He inhaled in the scent of her skin he'd already memorized and felt his stomach flipping up and down.

Kido cannot imagine himself ever feeling like he would tire of this... of her.

Ever since he admitted to himself how much he loves her, he has always felt like he needed to be with her more, see her more, talk to her more, or just breathe in the air as they stood in the same space more.

Just being beside her makes him happy.

Even if there is nothing said between them.

And it is this happiness that leads him to wish the same for all of his friends... which eventually leads them into teasing him that Zi Wei has him whipped and has turned him into a girl.

He smiled as he is reminded of a conversation a few nights ago.

It doesn't seem that far-fetched that DiDi and Xi Zi will be on his team soon.

He just has to think about how he'll make it happen for Yi Fan, Xi Ze, and Xiao Tian too.