Chapter Twenty-Four

There was a shift in her mood.

DiDi felt it right after he reminded her of how he knew about her feelings for Gao Zhi Ting.

The fire from her eyes all but disappeared and was replaced by a hint of melancholy.

He mentally shook his head. How does she manage to put aside her heartbreak over having the man she loves marry her best friend?

How could other things distract her?

He, himself, cannot even focus on anything else whenever he is reminded of how broken he is over his loss of Louise.

"We're here" he told her as he parked in front of the garden restaurant where the party is being held.

Yue was still in a stupor when he said this, as she looked around as though waking up from a daze, realized he was right, and nodded at him.

There was really no fire in there.

She removed her seatbelt more mechanical than a robot could do it and DiDi didn't know what came over him but he reached for her shoulder to stop her before she could open the door.

He leaned into her and she snapped.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!?!"

"Oh she shows up" he hissed under his breath as he relaxed back into his seat.

"WERE YOU GOING TO KISS ME?!?!?!"

"Do you want me to?"

The fire was back. "CAN YOU STOP BEING A JERK FOR JUST FIVE SECONDS?!?!"

This was better.

She shouldn't be entering that restaurant looking lost. "I am who I am" he answered her and brushed off her livid reaction "Let's go?."

"Wait! Wait!" He heard her call after him as he stepped out.

He opened the door for her and she looked at him squarely as soon as her head popped out. "I told you to wait!" she told him.

"Do you want us to be later than we already are?"

"WANG HE DI!"

He rolled his eyes. "What?"

"You baited me!"

"What did you say?"

"Did you purposely annoy me?"

"I don't know what you're talking about, Ms. Shen. Also, we are already 15 minutes late. As the Maid of Honor, shouldn't you be rushing to get inside?"

He turned his back against her but walked at a pace to make sure she could immediately follow him.

He locked his car as soon as he heard her move.

Yue pulled at his arm and when he turned, she had the decency to blush.

DiDi felt his heart almost jump put of his chest.

He had never triggered a blush like that from her. It looked becoming on her.

She let go of his arm. "Uhmmmm.... Ahhhh... I don't know why you did what you did but thank you."

DiDi shrugged it off. "You think too much, Ms. Shen. Again, I don't know what you're talking about. What I do know, though, is we need to get inside as quickly as possible because we're late."

She looked as awkward as he felt but at least it wasn't about the party anymore.

He saw her nod to herself, gathering courage, and DiDi saw before she even did it that she had arrived at a resolution.