They can't. All they can see is a black screen that is her womb and this ridiculously tiny white...

"Oh," Roxy breathes, "I-is that it?"

Anna looks to where her finger is pointing and nods, "Now to check baby's heartbeat. It can sometimes be a little hard to find it so early on so if you don't hear anything right away, please don't worry."

They nod as she flicks the switch on the machine before returning the wand to Roxanne's stomach and John presses a kiss to her hand as they listen carefully and not ten seconds later, the sound of their baby's heartbeat fills the room.

Roxy lets out a rush of air, looking at John to see him covering his mouth with his free hand, "Oh my god."

She feels tears welling up in her eyes again as he looks down at her.

"That's a baby, Rox," he whispers, "Love, that's our baby!"

She lets out a laugh as he leans down to kiss her, pulling away when he remembers that it's not just the two of them in here.

Anna gives them a couple more minutes before she turns the screen back to her so she can type in a couple more bits of information, "Do you want some photographs?"

Roxy's nodding before she's even finished speaking, "Yes. I know we can't see much but yes, please."

Nodding, the nurse wipes the gel off of her stomach and gestures to the desk that's on the other side of the room, "If you'd like to take a seat and we'll have a chat."

John helps her down and the pair of them sit at the desk while Anna washes her hands before joining them. "I want to know how you've been feeling," she smiles, "Any sickness? Nausea?"

Roxanne shakes her head, "No and if I'm honest, the only reason I took a test was that my friend was raking about her period and I realised that I was late." 

"Okay, well sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there's a big chance that you'll get the sickness in a couple of weeks. You're halfway through your second month and so you might find yourself unable to get to sleep what with all the hormones and such playing havoc on your body. It's maybe a good idea to try and work out what you could do to help you relax; have a bath or something." 

John looks very concentrated and to be honest, Roxy's surprised that he isn't taking notes.

"Do you smoke? Because now is the time to stop."

"No," she shakes her head again, "But John does." 

"Well, I'd also advise you to stop too or, at the very least, do it in another room away from the baby or outside." 

He nods. That's something he has to think about giving up. 

"You're in good shape," Anna says, looking over Roxy's notes, "And I don't see any point in keeping you here any longer...unless you've got any questions for me?" 

"Just one," Roxy murmurs, "When would it be best to tell people?"

"In my opinion and what many doctors advise is holding off until the three-month mark. We tend to find that most complications or miscarriages happen within those first three months."

"Okay," Roxy nods, "Well, thank you." 

"When do we make another appointment for?" John asks. 

"Anywhere between ten and thirteen weeks," Anna replies, "That's when we'll be able to work out your due date and such. Oh, here we go." 

She hands them the photos of the scan which they both look at once more before John tucks them safely into his wallet. 

This just made it feel a lot more real.

++|++

They return to the flat later that evening with full stomachs and grins on their faces. 

On the way home, John had stopped at a restaurant so they could have an early dinner. The place he'd taken her to was rather fancy and was definitely that they couldn't afford but he didn't care. They deserved to celebrate - even if it was just a little bit. 

He was supposed to be going back to the band right after the appointment but he'd decided that the band could do without him for the evening as well. 

Roxanne lets out a sigh as she sits down on the couch.

"Rox?" John calls from the kitchen.

"Hm?" she scratches under Amos' chin. 

"Have we run out of coffee?" 

"I think there's a jar in the cupboard, right at the back." 

She hears him clattering about and assumes that he's found it and so she kicks off her shoes, turns on the tv, happy to see that there's a rerun of M*A*S*H on and she settles in. 

John joins her after a couple of minutes but instead of watching the show with her, he grabs his wallet from the coffee table and digs out the scan photos. 

He smiles as he looks down at it, the grainy picture doesn't show much but god, he's never loved anything as much as he loved that tiny white blob. 

Roxanne scoots closer and rests her head on his shoulder and together, they look at their baby. 

"I can't believe that's how small they are," he whispers but he shouldn't be surprised. She's only a couple of months along, "Can't believe we managed to spot them." 

She laughs, "Of course we managed to find them! We're their parents." She runs her finger over the picture, "And we're going to keep them safe. And love them, make sure we raise them right and help them make good decisions." 

John leans down to kiss her, "Yeah, we will."

++|++

i know that this has been circulating on twitter and such but i feel like it's relevant here too. when Norte-Dame caught fire, the entire world stopped, the news was everywhere and millions were raised overnight. Where, can I ask, is the urgency and energy people had then, for Australia? the country is on fire. lives have been lost, half a billion of their wildlife is gone and it doesn't look like the fires are going to stop anytime soon.
i personally feel like there's something wrong when people are dying and a country is burning and yet millions were raised for a building.

My heart goes out to everyone who's going through this terrible time, to the people who have lost their homes, their livelihoods, everything. But a massive thank you to the fire services who are working around the clock and putting their lives on the line.

i really want to help but i'm not really sure the best place or website to go through. if you guys know, i would be grateful if you could please tell me ❤️❤️