Birth of the Swan

Right on an island in Australia lay Norfolk island. An island with the population of about five hundred. Unlike the other places that were ruled by governors, this area was ruled by Kings. The current ruler being King James Williams and his wife Queen Elizabeth Williams. They had three children; Roland, James and Susan. Norfolk island was a happy place until the king's sons died in a fatal accident. Roland and James. It was the latter's birthday and his father had given him a Lamborghini. He decided to test it out on the track with his brother and that was when tragedy struck. The car had lost control and went straight into a tree. The two boys were then rushed to the hospital but it was too late. The town had lost their favorite princes and it became a ghost town from that day forth. Now what about Susan. What happened to her? Well, her parents became scared that she was gonna die too, so they kept a close eye on her. She was withdrawn from school and taught at home by special tutors in the castle. She was not to leave the castle grounds without her parents permission and even if it was granted, she was not to go alone. She would be with lots and lots of castle guards to protect her from any harm. The young princess had seen her brothers die and understood that her parents were doing it all for her safety, so she complied. She didn't have much friends and the ones she did have were family. Like Luke her cousin who liked getting her new toys he would think she'd like and Boa the family's Butler. It felt like she was more of a prisoner than a princess.  She was now the heir to the throne and she needed to be protected from harm.

Voice: Hey, Susy.

She turned around and saw a familiar face. It was her cousin Luke and she was happy to see him. The day had been so glum for the family because on that day about four years ago, the princes had lost their lives. Her parents were away on official matters so they could not be present to commemorate the death of their sons. She was in the garden picking out flowers that would be kept on their tombstones. She didn't want to go alone so her mother had suggested that Luke go with her. They walked around the castle heading towards the family cemetery that lay beyond a little stream. They walked in silence until they stood over the graves. He held her hand as she bent to drop the flowers on their graves individually. Tears began to run down his cheek.

Luke: I should have been the one

Susan: No. It was not your fault. They were always faster than everybody.

They stood in silence until she could not hold herself anymore

Susan: (sobbing) I miss them Luke. I miss them so much.

He hugs her

Luke: I know. We all do

She cried for a while before she let go of him and started to walk towards the castle. They walked in silence, she being in front with her thoughts and he being behind. They reached the castle door

Luke: Hey. Don't worry. You'll be fine.

Susan: Yeah. I know. As long as you don't die on me like my brothers did

Luke: I promise, I won't. In fact, I have something for you

He reached into his bag and held something that looked like an iron ball

Susan: What is that?

Luke: It was something I got from the pawn shop down the road. It looks pretty weird

Susan: Mr Adrian?

Luke: Yeah

Susan: God! I've missed going there

Luke: We could go now if you like

Susan: No. My parents won't agree to that, besides, I want to go over there with you not Boa and the castle guards.

She reached out for it but he retreated

Susan: What?

Luke: Only if you promise to not be sad while I'm gone

Susan: OK fine. I promise.

He came forward and dropped it in her open palm

Luke: I'll see you tomorrow. I promise I'll get something better than this.

Susan: I love you Luke

Luke: Love you too little sis

With that he backed away, got into his car and drove towards the gate. She stood there watching him go and suddenly felt the cold hands of loneliness creep upon her. She was not alone in the castle, for there were about a dozen workers, but none of them understood how she felt. She took the item to her room and locked the door. What was this strange thing that Luke had given her. It felt really heavy but it also felt strangely alive. She thought she heard voices speaking to her from the ball but she dismissed the idea as nothing. Putting the object on the table she dropped on the bed like a sack of potatoes.

Voice: Miss Susan, your parents are back and they demand that you have dinner with them.

That was Boa, the family's Butler. No one knew how old he was, but from the tales her father told her, he had worked for her grandfather as well. He was not just a Butler, he was a friend and family.

Boa: Miss Susan?

Susan: Tell them I'll be down in a minute

Boa: Alright.

She heard him leave and stood up to change into an evening gown. The voices came again, this time echoing and getting louder and faster

Voices: Release me. Release us. Just a drop of your Royal blood. We will forever be in your debt.

She moved very slowly to the object, scared as ever. She tried to tell herself that it was all in her mind but the voices kept growing stronger. She was petrified and stood there until there was a knock on the door. She jumped at the sound of it and immediately the voices stopped.

Voice: Miss Susan, it's Mary. Do you need help with anything?

Relieved she put her hand on her chest to calm her racing heart as she practiced the breathing exercises that Boa had taught her in case she was scared or too excited to breathe

Susan: No, I'm alright Mary. Thank you.

Mary: OK. Dinner will be ready in ten minutes.

She looked at the ball, picked it up and peered deeply into it. Clearly something was not right with the object. It still felt alive. She dropped it into her drawer and moved to the bathroom to get ready for dinner.