Chapter 26 - Family Lunch

Niccolo's POV

I stood in my parents' kitchen pouring a drink for myself and Sierra. My mother walked in and her face lit up when she saw me.

"Hey, my baby. How are you doing?" She came over to me, hugging onto me tightly.

"I'm doing good, Mamma." I kissed her cheek before pulling back. "Do you need some help here?" I gestured towards the food spread across the counters.

"Sure, baby. If you could make the salad that would be wonderful." She passed the ingredients to me and I began setting it up in the salad bowl.

She had her back to me on the opposite side as she fiddled with the stove. I took the opportunity to grab a glance at her... My girl. She sat on the deck with Elena, Tino, and Cami while holding Major in her arms. That dog really knows how to pull at her heartstrings and get everything he wants. My mother had turned around at this point and sat watching me closely.

"Baby, the salad won't make itself

"Baby, the salad won't make itself." She teased with a giggle as I snapped back.

"Sorry." I felt a little bashful that my mother just caught me admiring a girl.

"You love her, don't you?" She spoke casually while dishing up the lunch onto the plates.

"What? No!" I spoke quickly. Too quickly as she quirked her brow at me. "I don't know..." I said in an uncertain tone keeping my eyes on the salad bowl and away from both her and Sierra.

"It's ok if you do." My mother began. She conversed calmly about it, not drawing too much attention. "I think we have all established she isn't Veronica. That girl is good for you, my boy. She brought you back to me. For that, I will be eternally grateful. I like her. She's feisty but respectful. She has challenged you at your own games which is exactly what you needed. You're just like your father." She laughed as she shook her head. "And I can see she loves you, so what are you afraid of, Niccolo?"

"What? No, she doesn't. Don't be ridiculous." I brushed off her comment as I finished up the salad.

"Are you sure about that? Because she hasn't taken her eyes off of you since you've been in here."

My eyes instinctively shot up and, true to my mother's words, Sierra's gaze was fixated on me. She quickly looked away, a small and embarrassed smile forming on her lips as she tried to hide it. Unknowingly, a grin formed upon my own.

"There's my favorite boy." Zietta Rosa waltzed into the kitchen as she had her arms open and heading in my direction. I couldn't help but chuckle.

"Don't let Dominic hear you say that." My mother teased as she giggled.

"I can keep a secret if you both can." She joked back causing us all to laugh. I hugged her as she kissed my cheek.

"Now, where's that beautiful love of your life?" She began walking around the counter.