Chapter 16 - Slipped Away

"I hope you can hear me,

'Cause I remember it clearly.

The day you slipped away,

Was the day I found it won't be the same."

Sierra's POV

Sierra's POV

When I heard Benji's voice over the phone, he was completely incoherent. He was trying to piece sentences amongst his cries. The only words I managed to hear were 'you need to come now. She won't last long.' The whole world around me froze, I felt my body go numb and the air around me thinned out. I struggled to take in breathes as I turned to face Nico. Everything went in slow motion around me and I somehow convinced myself I was in a dream.

Nico sprung into action, completely taking over. He finished getting me dressed, grabbed my hand and pulled me throughout the pub. I watched him scream instructions to a bunch of different people, but it was all muffled. I felt like I was drowning and trying to hear him from underneath the water. Which brings us to now. He has his hazards on, weaving in and out of traffic and pushing his sports car to its limits. I sat staring out of the window, not really seeing anything in particular. I would feel his hand on my knee ever so often, but my lack of movement or reaction made him pull away and press further down on the accelerator.

I could see the apartment building in view which made me shuffle in my seat. Nico slowed the car down in an attempt to park but I had already swung the door open. I jumped out of it, almost losing my balance, as I heard the vehicle come to an abrupt stop.

"Sierra!" Nico attempted screaming my name. I looked back to notice he had completely abandoned his car in the middle of the road to try to catch up to me. The one thing I remember clearly was Benji telling Nico over the phone to not allow me inside the apartment until further notice. Like hell was I going to let either one of them keep this from me.

I sprinted up the steps, taking two at a time, with Nico extremely close by. I reached the building passageway, noticing our apartment door off its hinges and lying on the floor. I had slowed down enough for Nico to wrap his arms around me and attempt to hold me in place. I was inches from being able to look inside so I fought. I fought him like my life depended on it.

"Niccolo, let me go!" I yelled at him, as I tried jabbing my elbow into his side.

"No! Sierra, you need to trust me on this. Let me go in there first!" He spoke into my ear as he held my arms in place.

The scuffle we had and the pull I created moved us the inches I needed. That's when I saw it. The apartment was completely destroyed. Furniture was overturned, pieces of shattered glass were on the floor, papers and letters were lying across the ground. I stood still in Nico's arms as I scanned the apartment. That's when I saw her.

Abuelita was lying on the ground in the middle of the lounge area where the coffee table once was. I began having flashbacks to the night my mother died. The pool of blood seeping from beneath her being replicated by the same pool beneath Abuelita's body. Her body was still, her skin pale and losing color. Her nightgown was stained with streaks, drips, and smears of bright red. Her hand lay by her side, completely covered with the same coloring. Benji sat with her head on his lap as he smoothed her hair over and over. What the fuck is happening?