Chapter Ten

I will admit, I had no idea how I was going to have the fight with the Winter Sirens end. Literally never figured it out since I first proposed it years back. I hope it works but... not planning this really important part never works out so... we'll see.

And by the Gods this is going to be long. So much to write, so much to conclude. I don't even know if I am going to give it the conclusion I originally thought of doing. 

Fuck it, lets do this and see what happens.

~~~~~~~~~

The rational part of Glacia knew that what she was doing was foolish. Knew that she was walking into the lions den but everything else told her that what she was doing was right. That her actions would not lead to her death. To everyone's death. What great pressure to have.

It didn't really matter at this point. She made her presence known. The leader of the Winter Sirens acknowledged her. There was no back out now. 

She stood tall at the edge of the waiting jaws of hungry beast, watching as the Sirens observed her from their perch, assessing every movement, every twitch, every muscle that flexed. She was their new prey, their new toy before their feast that strung on the belief of justice was to begin. There was no justice here today. No. That was lost ages ago when those that haunted their every living moment died and their children died and when the horrors of their acts faded from the memories of Griffin Rock.

No justice to be gained, no vengeance to be found. Only the last ditch effort of broken and hate filled hearts that sought some peace in the end. Some resolution to their story. Some closure to their lives. Some reassurance that all that was done was in the end worth it.

Glacia knew that, deep down, these Winter Sirens knew they would find none of that.

There would be no peace for these twisted and warped souls.

Looking dead into the eyes of the leader, Glacia did not allow fear to grip her, did not allow it to cloud her mind and make her flee from the danger that awaited her. She needed to do this.

She needed to.

"RUN GLACIA! YOU'RE NOT SAFE!"

She looked towards the prison that held her sister, the icy wall that entrapped her limbs and only sparing her head, leaving her unable to fight. Unable to defend. 

The leader, Amiera, chuckled "nowhere is safe for her, dear Dani. Especially now."

Her knowing look directed towards the young girl nearly made the brunette bolt, but she held her ground. She would not cower now, not when her family was in danger. She would not loose another family.

Glacia's grey eyes looked directly into Amiera's, not wavering as she pushed her shoulders back and tilted her chin just a tad higher, trying to air an sense of bravery that she could barely hold.

"Can we feast now?"

It was the child that spoke, her pigtail hair bouncing with her skips and her jovial persona resonating with her carefree, child like attitude. 

Amiera smiled "feast we shall."

The Winter Sirens all seemed to move at once, the child, Aviva, gasping in delight as she smiled brightly and balled her hands to fist, raising them to her cheeks as she squealed at the news, her excitement ever so present as she turned to rush towards her new meal. The others seemed more put together, but they too had an air of impatience as they too seemed ready to rush to the innocents that laid in their path.

"NO!"

That stilled everyone. Not due to the words that were spoken. Nor of the person who spoke them. But the power behind it. Not the power that forced the word out, no, it was more than that. A deep, booming command that cracked the ground and broke the unbreakable ice nearest to the source. The power behind it was not mortal by any means, the strength and authority far beyond the means of a human. The power, the tone, the unshakable knowing of what it was brought terror to the hearts of the Winter Sirens.