Chapter 21

"Kagome!!!" her name ripped through my chest in a scream. Acting quickly I made my way up the wall. Finally making it to the top I looked at the other side with anticipation.
"It's now or never. I need to save Kagome." my eyes narrowed in anger as I walked back a few paces giving myself a running headstart for momentum. Taking off I used the edge of the cliff to jump across.

I won't lie it felt like I was flying. I don't even think I would've needed the running start. Landing roughly on the other side I glared up at the mountain of Urasue.
"I'll get you back. No matter the cost." I vowed as I began dashing my way up. My fox ears twitched catching commotion at the top. I'm so close...hang on Kagome.

"Kikyo shall have her soul, you shall be among the living dead." a rough voice spoke. My eyes caught Urasue and Kagome. Kagome lied in a bath of awful smelling stuff but that's not what pissed me off. What she said did.
"Like hell, I would let that happen, you witch!" I growled as I landed on the cliff of her layer.
"Ahh, the Nine-tailed Fox. Such an honor to be in the presence of royalty but this doesn't concern you!" she shouted slashing her scathe in my direction.

I narrowly dodged the attack without even trying.
"You think you're strong enough to actually face me? Don't make me laugh." I smugly cracked my knuckles and began getting my claws ready. I need to be careful. I have no weapon to defend myself with so the best way to stop her is by bluffing my strength.
"You barely know anything about yourself. You're weak." she countered. I narrowed my eyes growling slightly.

She swung her scathe again and this time I decided to attack as well. Jumping over the attack with a flip I readied my claws and slashed at her barely scratching her cheek. I landed on the other side of her sliding across the dirt. Using the momentum I slammed my hand down so I would turn to be facing her. She turned towards me with blood slowly dripping down her cheek. I smiled in victory.

"Stay smug while you can fox because you won't be doing that ever again!" she growled as she swung again but this time I couldn't dodge. Not completely. I propelled back at the collision with a large gash diagonally across the back of my left shoulder. Wincing as I landed on the said shoulder I coughed a few times to hide the pain. I began to push myself back up with a smirk to hide any signs of pain.
"You think that's enough to stop me?"

"I can't breathe. I can hardly even move." Kagome's voice caught my attention. The concoction she was laying in was glowing a bright green.
"What are you doing to her!? Let her go!" I yelled as anger overtook me and I lunged forward. I stopped in midair in front of the woman. Tears pooling in my eyes as I looked down. There sat slightly buried in my abdomen was her scathe.

I dropped to the ground in pain. Dammit. I need to save Kagome. I tried to get back up, holding my abdomen only for Urasue to kick me onto my back.
"Go ahead and die for me yeah? If you do that then I can bring you back and you'll be under my command. So sit tight little fox princess." she stepped over my body and walked over to Kagome.
"Ka..go..me" I croaked out. I'm sorry I'm so weak. I'm sorry I can't save you. I'm sorry I'm such a failure.

I could barely focus on the sounds around me but the moment my eyes focused on Inuyasha I knew things would be ok.
"Mitsuki!" the ringing in my ears made my name sound muffled. Was it my name? Or was it my imagination?
"Get up. You're stronger than this. Get up!" the voice was louder and clearer this time and I recognized it. My past life.

"You're holding yourself back. You're keeping yourself from fighting. You're strong. Get up!" it was like I could see her in front of me. A faint glowing outline of her. Tears welled up in my eyes again. I feel so weak. I want to be stronger than this.
"Than be stronger." were the last words she said before she disappeared. Finding newfound motivation and strength I slowly got to my feet. Fighting through the head rush I watched what was happening before me.

The woman who was following the Specter around was being hit by flashing lights.
"What's.. what's happening, " I questioned.
"Kikyo's spirit is leaving Kagome's body!" Inuyasha quickly replied. Grasping my stomach a little harder I recalled what Urasue was saying when I first arrived about Kagome being among the living dead. Staggering towards Kagome I sat beside the tub she lied in.

"Kagome...I'm so sorry." I cried slightly. The guilt I felt was immense. I ignored the drama behind me. It didn't matter. Kagome was gone. The girl who had a loving family. The girl who has friends. The girl who tried so hard to be my friend and only recently succeeded. I cried harder now. My pain meant nothing to me. It doesn't compare to the crippling sorrow I feel towards the girl who lies in front of me. It's all her fault. It's all that demons fault. She took the most kind-hearted girl I've ever met from this world.

The sounds of Inuyasha's screams filled my ears. Turning around with tears still falling I see the woman who took Kagome's soul.
"Stop this assault, Kikyo!" Kaede pleaded. Kikyo.
"If I kill her...Kagome's soul will return..." I whispered. Standing up I hobbled towards the Woman as she raised an arrow towards Inuyasha and firing. A bright purple glow emitted from the arrow when it shot into the place Inuyasha was after he dodged.

"Kikyo," I growled. The woman turned her head to look at me barely over her shoulder.
"Give her back. Give Kagome back!" I snarled as I lunged at her. She placed her hand on my shoulder and electrifying shocks went through my body as the purple light surrounded me as it did with the arrow. I fall to the floor.
"Another demon. How nice." she spat as she went back to dealing with Inuyasha.
"Give her back Kikyo! You're already dead!" I cried out in desperation.

She spared me no mind. What will I tell Kagome's parents? The devastation would kill them. Her mother has lost her baby girl. Her brother lost his sister. Her grandpa lost his eldest grandchild. I cried more.
"Please..please..just give her back." I whimpered completely collapsing to the ground. Silently sobbing. Until I felt it. The air..getting lighter. Wiping the tears which pooled out any way I slowly sat up using what little strength I had. Kagome.

Balls of light were entering her body. Inuyasha took off after Kikyo while I as fast as I could stood up and wobbled to get to Kagome. Engulfing her in the tightest hug that I could ever imagine that I would ever give.
"Don't ever scare me like that again you idiot girl! What would I have told your family?! Your friends?! What about me and Inuyasha?!" I sobbed. She held me back.
"I'm sorry for scaring you, Mitsuki."