CHAPTER FIVE (2019)

A blast of warm air hit me like a brick wall after Adam and I left the terminal and found our rental car in the middle of the parking lot. The plush leather seats seemed to mold around my body as I waited for Adam to finish loading our luggage into the trunk. When he got in, he took my hand in his and gave me such a kiss that nearly sucked the air out of my lungs. "Merry Christmas Eve, baby." He said softly as our foreheads rested against each other. I smiled and pulled away, buckling my seatbelt as I told him to drive on.

Considered to be on the Southside of Maui, Kihei is located on the leeward side of Haleakala. It was almost two in the morning when we when pulled off of Highway 310 and found ourselves five miles outside of town. The surrounding area had become more secluded outfitted with palm trees on either side set against the backdrop of what looked like something you'd find on the back of a postcard. As we turned right and headed up the driveway, I could see a flicker of light peeking through some tall bamboo foliage.

Tucked away in its own private oasis, the Balinese consisted of two bedrooms and two baths, with pocket doors that opened to a large indoor/outdoor living area. Lounge chairs under the pool cabana added another relaxing spot so one could enjoy the breathtaking ocean and island views. The engine shut off as the silence consumed us both. Any quieter and I could hear the crickets outside.

"Do you like it?" Adam asked.

"I love it. It's very beautiful."

"Come on, then. Let's go take a look inside and get settled in."

Suddenly I was quite nervous like Bella Swan from the Twilight Saga when she and Edward go away on their honeymoon. Strange that that would pop into my head just now as I unbuckle my seatbelt and step out into the night. Adam emerges from the trunk, his arms bulging as he carries our luggage up the stairs while I make it my mission to get the front door opened. The smell of wood and cleaning chemicals makes my nose wrinkle as we cross the threshold and stand in the foyer.

The floor plan was open, all one level. The massive living room was straight ahead with the walk-in kitchen just to my right and the bedrooms to the left. I admired the generous space and the privacy that the surrounding area gave us. Behind me, Adam disappeared into the master suite as I followed him and adorned the king-sized four-poster bed with rose petals to complete the effect.

"That's a big bed," I muttered.

Putting his arms around me, Adam whispered in my ear. "And it's not just for sleeping either. Imagine all the things you and I are going to be doing in this bed while we're here."

My breath caught at the sensuous touch of his lips on my neck. "Oh, I think you're enjoying this a bit too much."

"So sue me," he growls, slipping his hands underneath my shirt.

I feel my knees start to tremble as I reach around and grab Adam's leg for support. His chest rumbles, indicating a laugh that forces me to put my head on straight, and not get sucked into his charming ways. I pivot in his arms, pushing him back as I catch the eyes of his wolf staring back at me. Bad dog.

"You're not playing fair," I said.

"Oh, baby, you should know by now that I never play by the rules."

His wolf tracks me as I leave the room and open the pocket doors that lead out to the backyard. A large in-ground heated pool sits in the center where just beyond that, you can see the ocean and the islands that inhabit it. The warm air feels good on my skin as I fold my arms across my chest and take in the rest of the place. Only my moment of silence is ruined by a blur of white skin and the loud splash of water. I take a step back so as not to get wet and arched a brow at the man floating naked in our pool.

"Could you be any more of a kid, right now?"

"Why don't you take your clothes off and get in? The water's perfect."

"So you can take advantage of me?"

Adam smiled, his fangs making an appearance. "Well, that is the idea. You are my mate, after all. Not to mention my partner. I say that earns me every right."

"Mmm. Very well. If you insist."

My clothes fall where they lay, leaving behind a trail in my wake as I stop near the edge of the pool and dive in headfirst. When I surfaced, Adam swam toward me, pulling me into his body as he forced me to wrap my legs around him. We kissed deeply and I barely noticed that Adam had walked us over to the far side of the pool. My arms linked around his neck as I welcomed the brief stint of his tongue in my mouth. Damn him. He always knew just what to do to turn me the fuck on.

"Stop teasing me."

I heard the smile in his voice. "Relax. We have till morning. And I plan to take my time."

Holding me still, the tip of his nose trailed along the nape of my neck as his lips grazed over my skin. Kissing the vein, I jumped slightly just like I always did before the strike occurred. Before he took me in his mouth, the very life force that flowed through my heart. I cranked my head back, granting him access as I stared up at the night sky and marveled at the stars. His hand cupped the back of my neck, his muscles tightening as the growl in his chest shook me to the core. One, two, three.

My vision dimmed, my body melting into his arms as his fangs buried themselves in my neck. His lips formed a tight seal as he took the first gulp. I moaned, my hips grinding against him as I closed my eyes and enjoyed the sensation. I ran my fingers through his hair, calling out his name, begging him to take me right here, right now. And as I felt him slip himself inside of me, something happened. Something I couldn't explain because I'd never felt it before. But that's all it was, just a blip.

I racked my brain trying to figure out where it came from and after a complete check of my systems could only come up with one positive answer, my stomach. Relief washed over me in the very instant. Could it be? I wondered. I just knew that I had to be right. I didn't want to get my hopes up too soon until I was absolutely sure that's what happened. When Adam released my neck, sealing the wound close with a few strokes of his tongue. The wolf in his eyes retreated as he licked what remained of me off his lips.

"What is it? What's wrong?"

I shook my head, smiling from ear to ear. "Nothing. Nothing's wrong. I just love you so much. Thank you for everything."

"Are you sure? You seem different?"

I kissed him. "Ask me in the morning. For now, just fuck me."

Author's Note: Hello everyone and a very Happy New Year to you all! I can't believe 2020 is almost upon us. But a lot has happened these past ten years; some good, some bad. I wrote numerous books, trashed some. Gained an insane amount of followers who are like a family to me. :) Started a new job just this past summer which seems to be going well with the hopes of finally doing some more traveling in the new year. I can't wait to see what this new decade will bring us. And I hope you all will be along for the ride.