CHAPTER TWELVE

They say a lot can happen in the space of one year and I for one, would have to agree. Since then, I got mated which is the human term for "marriage" and in March I went into heat and became pregnant. It was quite a shock I can assure you. But the brothers were all pleased as was Duke who could barely contain his excitement, whenever he saw the ultrasound hanging up on the bar next to the picture of his late wife. Though it became harder to conceal the fact from my own mother when I visited her a week ago.

I only told her as much as humanly possible and with the help of Damon, her questions were kept to a minimum. Then came time for the delivery. It was just before midnight on Christmas Eve when I was rushed to a clinic deep within the woods just outside of Savannah. A doctor lived on the premises who was trained to deal with this type of pregnancy. Naturally, he said that it was quite common for male Breeders to become pregnant and give birth via C-section.

Surprisingly, the whole process took about an hour as I was numbed from my belly down. I was fortunate enough to have Duke by my side as he held my hand and told me that everything would be fine. And he was right. As the first wailing cry filled the room with joy, the doctor announced that it was a boy. The second baby was another boy while the third baby was a girl who I named after Duke's wife. And last but not least came the fourth and final baby, also a girl. So two boys and two girls; what a lovely combination.

After the surgery, I was placed in a room with four tiny people wrapped up in blankets at the foot of my bed, each with a name tag to help identify the correct baby with the right father so to speak. Then a knock at the door sounded as I called out for them to come in. The door swung open and there stood Duke, Damon, Jack and Liam in awe at the sight before them. They crossed the threshold as if they were in a trance, their eyes on the babies as they made their way over to them.

"Our family just got a hell of a lot bigger, boys," Duke said, looking at his sons.

They nodded in silence as they each grabbed a seat and sat around my bed. I fell asleep sometime after and when I awoke the following morning, a light dusting of snow covered the entire forest. As for the men, they each took a baby in their arms and to my amazement, the babies responded with tremendous energy. Their tiny hands grasped the finger of their respective daddy while the brothers couldn't stop the smile that was plastered on their faces.

Duke came over and sat down next to me on the edge of the bed, holding his little girl as she stayed fast asleep in her pink blanket. "Thank you for bringing joy to my family," he said.

I touched his arm as I placed a kiss on his cheek. "You're welcome. And thank you for giving me a kind of love that I now know is undying. I'll always be grateful for that."

He kissed me softly. "Merry Christmas, baby."

I smiled as I kissed him back. "Merry Christmas, Daddy."

The End