CHAPTER FOUR (2019)

Good evening passengers. This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight 3B to Maui. We are now inviting those with small children, and any passengers requiring special assistance, to begin boarding at this time. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready. Regular boarding will begin in approximately ten minutes. Thank you.

"Finally. It's almost time. How'd you like your hamburger?"

"It was okay," I said, resting my head on his shoulder. "But it wasn't as good as yours."

I could hear the smile in his voice. "You've got that right."

Sitting on the floor with our backs against the window, our carry-on luggage which consisted of one small suitcase, and a duffel bag, sat between us at our feet. The time on my phone showed 4:20 PM. And with an eight hour flight time ahead of us, it looked like we wouldn't be landing until about midnight. I closed my eyes and tried to mentally prepare myself for the long trip ahead. 8 hours of being trapped in an airplane with screaming kids, overpriced snacks, and long lines to the bathroom.

At exactly 4:30 PM. The final boarding could begin as Adam and I took our place in line behind an upper-middle-class couple. We showed our boarding passes to the gate attendant and walked clear across the sky-bridge as we left our suitcase next to the others. When we boarded the plane, we were greeted by the smile and grace of not one, but two, female flight attendants who kindly showed us to our seats in first class.

"Would you guys like a glass of champagne after takeoff?" The flight attendant asked.

"Yes. Please." Adam replied.

I settled into my seat, fastening the belt around my waist as I closed the shade as well as my eyes and breathed in through my nose. It's not that I hate to fly. It's the crashing that I hate. The never knowing and the unexpected. The main door closes a few minutes later as the captain appears over the intercom and tells the flight attendants to prepare for takeoff. That's when the engine's start and the plane rolls lazily onto the tarmac. The power builds, forcing us to slam back into our seats as we rise higher and higher into the air.

At cruising altitude, the same flight attendant hands us two glasses of champagne as I take mine and finish it in no time flat. Adam stares at me impressed, taking a sip from his as he gently squeezes my hand.

"Breathe, babe. Relax. We'll be there in no time."

I nod. "I'm trying."

He leaned in his voice barely a whisper. "Shall I fuck you to sleep then?"

I laughed. "I don't think our fellow passengers would like that very much."

"Or, we could slip into the lavatory and see what kind of positions we can get into."

"I'm flexible. But not that flexible."

"You know what they say, there's no time like the present."

"As intriguing as the offer is, I must regretfully decline."

"Suit yourself. I'll just have to get my hands on you when we land."

Placing my head on his shoulder, I felt his lips graze my forehead as he hummed a peaceful tune that seemed to put me at ease. My eyes felt heavy, my mind peaceful. I must've fallen asleep cause when I awoke, the plane's tires screeched along the runway. I looked around, staring at Adam in awe as he slept soundly. I kissed his cheek as he stirred and stretched his arms over his head.

"We're here," I said. "Finally."

"That we are, my love. Welcome to Maui."

Author's Note: YAY! Happy Friday everyone! We made it through another week. :) I really hope you guys are enjoying these short little stories. I've done them before. But it gives me something new to try out. And on that note see you all tomorrow when the next update drops. Night-night.