CHAPTER FIVE

Two hours later, I awake to find that I've changed back into my human form. I sigh with relief. But the after effects are not what I expected to be at all. My skin is hypersensitive, as are my eyes to the light of the room. I sit up slowly, bringing my knees up to my chest as I wrap my arms around them. I listen and listen good. The air in here is still and smells of anger and bad choices. I listen closer and can hear someone pacing on the other side of the door, most likely Duke. But his thoughts are blocked so no help there.

When he's finally ready to come in, he opens the door slowly, shutting it behind him without making a sound. He walks forward with a light step, his eyes cautious as he looks me up and down. I'm still too sore to try and stand on my own two feet and he knows this from the way he stands along the outer rim of the light that shines down upon me. I look up and can see him clear as day. I sniff the air again and catch the scent of soap that lingers on his skin. A shower sounds good to me right about now.

"How do you feel?" He asked.

"Sore," I croak out. "And a little stiff. But otherwise, I feel fine."

"Do you feel strong enough to stand up and move about?"

I shake my head. "Not really. My body feels like it just got hit by a Mack truck."

Duke chuckled. "That'll ease up by tomorrow morning. For now, let's get you washed up and into some fresh clothes."

A old key dangles from his hand as he steps into the light and walks up to the door. He inserts the key and with a twist, the lock disengages, allowing the hinges to screech loudly as I wince at the noise ringing in my ear. He steps inside and looks at me for a moment before helping me get to my feet. His grip is strong, his skin warm and rough like a fine patch of aged leather. Then I place my hands on his chest to steady myself as I breathe in through my parted lips. But that's not the worst part.

The heat I experienced before I past out from exhaustion comes back threefold. It sends a shockwave down my spine that bursts outward like a firework on the fourth of July. I start to feel warm and aroused at the same time. Duke notices this too. His body becomes still, his hands on my arms flexing as a growl rumbled deep within his chest. I look into his eyes and see the lust that's building in around them. Yet there's another side to him. Telling him to resist. As he struggles desperately to obey.

"Don't fight it," I said without even thinking.

"I have to," he grunted. "You won't like me if I do."

"Why don't you let me be the judge of that."

Reaching up, I place a hand on the nape of his neck, closing the short distance between us with aching delay. Contact. Our lips met, mine moving tenderly against his, as if his mind was trying to make sense of it all. I pulled back after a bit when I got no response, thinking that what I did was wrong. I shouldn't have done that. I hung my head in shame, feeling embarrassed not to mention a little out of place. I'd never done anything like that before, taking charge. It just wasn't like me at all.

"I'm so very sorry," I murmured.

No response. Shit. I willed my legs to straighten as I made the motion to take a step back but Duke wouldn't let me. Then he shocked me by crushing our lips together, his tongue sliding into my mouth. I jumped at the assault but welcomed the kiss. Stroking his mouth with mine, he sucked in my lower lip, pulling me into his arms. I gasped as he tightened his hold on me, but that only drove him harder. Duke was certainly a real man. A man's man. The kind you only find on the back cover of romance novels.

More with the tongue, more getting into me and working his magic. Duke may have broken the kiss, but that didn't stop him from making his way down to my neck. Sucking his way along the column of my throat, I enjoyed the friction that was happening south of his jeans. I moaned at the sensation which Duke constantly pointed out thanks to the bulge that nudged against my stomach. I clung to his shoulders for support, the tips of my nails razor sharp like points on a knife as I pressed them deep into his flesh.