Chapter 130

Viper

"You lied for me. Why?" She frowned so she wouldn't tear up again as she sought the answer in Undreen's eyes.

He glanced to the side, as if to make sure no one stood near enough to hear.

No one did. Too busy gathering their wits, checking on their comrades, talking quietly among one another, maybe to try and figure out what the fuck had happened, exactly. Coming up with theories.

Some were still crying over their demons. Others were probably still in denial, maybe even discussing strategies to get their demons back.

The thought brought a sharp pang to her chest. There was no getting them back, she knew. Clearly this had been Arakili's master plan all along.

She brought her gaze back up to Blood Eyes as he answered, "Because I know you, and I know you wouldn't make that up."

Viper flung a hand to the back of her neck, tangling her fingers into wind-tousled raven locks. Her eyes got watery all over again.

Then Blood Eyes added, "And if you spent the rest of your life in jail, well, I'd miss you."

Seriously not helping with the emotional build-up. This was possibly the nicest thing anyone had ever done for her.

Viper sniffed, her hand still self-consciously massaging the back of her neck. "Thanks . . . I know how hard it must've been."

Blood Eyes just nodded.

Overhead, two clouds stretched apart to let through a sliver of sunlight, which provided some rare and fleeting warmth for Viper's tired body. The silver crossguard jutting up from Undreen's shoulder glinted in the sun's glow, then the clouds reclaimed that parcel of sky.

He shifted his weight from one dirty white boot to the other. "Do you reckon he did it to other women too?"

"Yeah, probably." On a whim, she decided to voice her theory even though it was just now taking shape in her mind. "And I think he abused Leery."

"What?" Confusion sparred across lavender-red eyes.

Viper chuckled darkly. "Think about it. Leery could literally shape shift into anything. Into anyone. We now know Juna was an abusive motherfucker. Look, I really don't want to be right about this. But you've got to admit, it's pretty fucking suspicious. I mean, why else would Leery take Juna with him to the demon realm? He wants revenge."

And Blood Eyes did think about it. She could see the expression on his marked face shifting from confusion, all the way to dawning realization, and finally horror. He looked at her, and she arched her eyebrow with a tiny grunt of acknowledgement in her throat.

"Well, fuck," Blood Eyes said. "I had no idea."

"I know," she said through a sigh. "None of us did. We all put him on a pedestal, I guess."

Blood Eyes' expression darkened. "Like the Demon Queen."

Viper felt the pang in her chest again. "Like that, yeah."

They both turned and angled their heads to look over to where Imxi stood with King Jaden and the others. Things seemed awkward, even from a distance. Imxi looked very tense as she was – Viper presumed – explaining the situation. An empathic cringe ran through Viper. She sure as hell wouldn't wish to be in Imxi's place right now.

And beside the empress, on the ground . . . a svelte form with dark green hair, laying supine on a bed of blood.

So she was dead.