Chapter 91

Zemisha

She wore one of the dresses her mother had gifted her. A sleeveless saffron gown, tight at the bodice with a flaring skirt. Her satchel was already inside the carriage. Just like their driver, patient in his seat, already holding the reins.

This was goodbye. The end of a, shall we say, quite intense chapter of my life.

But Moira stood by her side, and just like that, everything was all right. They were going home, and they were together.

Moira gave Jaden her bow and quiver, bristling with arrows. Jaden's bow, Zemisha knew, had been lost somewhere along the way.

The gesture seemed rather formal. Almost symbolic. Jaden grasped the quiver with one hand, and the bow's engraved oak stave with the other. Moira's hair shone like fire in the sun, yet in that moment her grin stole the show.

"It's like you once told me," Moira said, "not everyone needs to be a warrior."

"No," Jaden said in a tight voice, like he was holding back tears. "And I'm glad you're not, because you're so much more than that."

Moira nodded, like she understood. No holding back for her; tears fell freely down her freckled cheeks.

Turning away from them, Zemisha glanced up at Noah.

"Well, I didn't get to spend that much time with the real you."

Noah laughed, massaging the back of his neck, like he was shy. He was so good-looking sometimes, it was unfair.

"Anyway. Thank you, again, for saving all our lives." She raised a hand, motioning toward Jaden and Moira.

"Don't mention it," Noah said.

Zemisha narrowed her eyes playfully. "Stop being modest, it doesn't suit you."

Noah gasped for show. "It doesn't? I've been living a lie!"

She laughed, shaking her head.

Moira's hand, now free of the bow and quiver, slipped easily into Zemisha's.

"This isn't goodbye forever," Moira said firmly. "You guys are coming back."

"Yes," Zemisha agreed. "Well, I sure hope you're coming back." She addressed Jaden, "I can't very well do this whole queen thing on my own, can I? Especially considering we're not married yet."

"In my heart we are." Jaden's hand that held the bow's stave went dramatically to his chest.

Zemisha chuckled. "I expect that won't be enough for the Felleran people. So you'd better come back to me, partner."

"I will," Jaden said more seriously.

Noah chimed in, "I'll make sure he does."

Zemisha's smile turned slightly mocking. She couldn't quite help herself. "Oh, I'm sure you will."

The glint in Noah's green eyes faded, replaced by confusion. But before he could say anything, Zemisha laughed and pulled him into a hug, which he returned fervently.

"Don't be a stranger," she said. "Stop by Veicira some time."

"Okay."

Before pulling away completely, she gave him a kiss on the cheek. There was a slight hesitation, or maybe reluctance, before Noah let go of her. Beside them, Moira and Jaden were doing the very same thing. In fact, they held one another for a longer time.

After that, they switched places.

"Be safe, fiancé," Zemisha said to Jaden.

She saw then, in his pearl-gray eyes, the depth of his affection and love. And she felt the same way, whole-heartedly. She'd always considered herself so lucky to have found him. As a result, she feared for him. They had such grand dreams for Fellera. They were still so young, it couldn't be over just yet.

"Come back to me." Her turn now to struggle against tears. "I mean it. This is only the beginning."

Jaden frowned with obvious emotion, and they fell in each other's arms. He held her as best he could while still awkwardly hefting bow and quiver. It didn't matter; Zemisha held him tight enough for two. She felt the lean muscles of his back as she reached up with a hand to stroke his hair.

She was close to tears in great part because of what he'd endured. Because of Neros. It wasn't fair. He shouldn't have suffered, he didn't deserve . . .

He seemed to notice that she was crying. Perhaps a tremor had run through her shoulders. He drew back from the embrace to look at her intently.

"It's going to be all right, Misha. I'll be right behind you. I'll be there before you know it. And then, we'll do this whole royal wedding affair. It'll be properly insane and ridiculous. An event for the history books of the future."

Zemisha smiled through her tears. "Yes," she breathed. "And then we'll change the world."

"Absolutely," Jaden said with a mock-confidence that reminded her of Noah. She supposed, after a whole year of sharing their thoughts, they'd rubbed off on each other.

She leaned closer to Jaden's ear. "Remember what I told you. My intuition is usually on point."

Jaden frowned for a split-second as if unsure what she meant. Then realization dawned on him, she could tell from the nervous look in his eyes. Vulnerable yet eager. The world is made for risk-takers, Jaden.

Zemisha ruffled his hair, then kissed his cheek.

"I'll see you soon," she said softly.

"See you soon," he said back.

She glanced at Moira, who was ready to take her hand again. With one last look at the two young men, they turned to make their way toward the carriage.

They hopped in one after the other, and took the seat in front of Kitera.

Zemisha sighed quietly. This felt right.

"Ready to go home, ladies?" Kitera asked.

Zemisha's heart grew warm as she caught Moira's grin.

"You bet we are," Moira said.

Kitera stuck her hand out of the carriage window and signaled to their driver. Soon, the carriage spurred along, and tingles climbed up Zemisha's chest.

Yes, it was starting to sink in.

We're going home.